Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Over heating issue, I think.
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Hi, have a heating issue, i think.
Our 1940 110 strated running a little warm 190+degrees at 50miles an hour.
The outside temp was 100+ or -2degrees.
Proir to today the temp had always been in the dead center of the guage when driving .
So i removed the bottom hose and the top hose and flushed the engine block and the radiator until everything was clear.
Checked the thermostat in a pot of hot water, with a thermometer, and put all back together.
Filled with 50% antifreeze and water.
No noise from the water pump.
Disconnected the orgional temp gauge and replace with a Napa mechanical gauge.
Still ran at 190+never boiled over.
So do i need to worry or is this nomal in 100 degree temps.
Would a radiator fan help?
If so can anyone recommend a 6 volt fan?
Thank You
John Miller

Posted on: 2014/7/20 21:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Over heating issue, I think.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Another item to check is the vacuum advance chamber. Make sure it is not leaking. A leaking chamber will result in retarded ignition timing and can contribute to a hotter running engine. This may be the problem since it came up abruptly.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/20 22:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My own feeling is that driving in 100 deg. F. temperatures is a reasonably stressful situation for a car more than a half-century old and to be able to do that and still maintain more than 20 degrees below boiling is not indicative of a serious overheating problem, though of course I can understand you'd like to have a bit more of a cushion. At 50 mph or so an electric pusher fan will not offer much if anything, it's effectiveness drops off rapidly with road speed, as does the conventional fan.

For a little incremental improvement you might look to the usual things, fan belt tension and proper fit in the water pump pulley, cleanliness of the radiator core air passages, possibly excessively thick paint on the radiator core, and possibly use a "water wetter" (I assume you run water and not antifreeze in that climate), water pump impellor clearance, and the like.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 8:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Thank you, the radiator was recored 2yrs ago I will check the vacuum advance this weekend.
thanks
John Miller

Posted on: 2014/7/21 22:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Thanks, just checked the tension of the fan belt and the water pump and adjusted. The radiator was re-cored two years ago and seems to be clear.
This weekend will add water wetter and see how it goes.
Thanks
John Miller

Posted on: 2014/7/21 22:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi John:

The number on the thermostat is the temperature at which the unit begins to open. Full open is usually 20 degrees warmer.

If the gauge is now visually reading higher than before that could be the gauge itself. If you have been using the car a lot then lower compression will cause hotter running as will lean burning or retarded (excessive) ignition.

That aside, 190 at 100 degree ambient air temperature is pretty good stuff.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 6:15
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved