Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 135

R H, Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'52 327 Carter WGD rebuild or switch to WCFB 4 barrel
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Thunderbolt
See User information
I've been driving the '52 300 for several months now and noticed its not performing as well as it should. It seems the accelerator pump gets stuck sometimes and then it will suddenly kick in. The engine also stalls out like a light when I go full throttle. Additionally the gas mileage has been poor.

I want to rebuild the 2 barrel WGD but I got to thinking it may run better with the 4 barrel. Would the 4 barrel from a 1953 work on a 1952? Would the 4 barrel give the same gas mileage? And do I need the manifold or anytging else to convert to 4 barrels? Thank you all for the help.

John

Posted on: 2014/7/21 8:49
 Top  Print   

Re: '52 327 Carter WGD rebuild or switch to WCFB 4 barrel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A good carburetor rebuild is perhaps in order, but first why not check the manifold vacuum at idle - what you describe can be the result of a vacuum leak, at the distributor vacuum advance or elsewhere (manifold gaskets, vacuum booster pump, wiper hose connections, etc. An engine in good mechanical internal condition and in a good state of tune should give 18-20 inches of vacuum at idle.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 9:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Thunderbolt
See User information
The engine has been rebuilt. The only visible leak is the carburetor body gasket. I hooked up my vacuum gauge and it read 10-12."

Posted on: 2014/7/23 12:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suspect if you solve the problem of the very low manifold vacuum, you'll solve your problem. 10-12 inches of vacuum is TERRIBLE. First I' make sure the ignition timing is on specification, then adjust the carburetor idle mixtures to give maximum vacuum at idle but without opening the mixture screw further than the point of maximum vacuum. If that doesn't give you 18 inches or more, start looking for a vacuum leak. Likely places are the vacuum booster pump, intake manifold gaskets, or broken loose vacuum hoses. The distributor vacuum advance might also be a source of a leak but I wonder if it alone could give such a large vacuum drop. Also if you 52 has Easamatic brakes, a leak in that vacuum circuit is also a good possibility.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 14:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Thunderbolt
See User information
It was a vacuum leak in a hose. Now it's pulling 21". I ran it through first and second wide open and the car flew. It's got enough power now. I think I need to lower the idle speed now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 17:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved