Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

CCR, happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

2122 Clipper ID question.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
First let me say I'm totally new to Packard. Although I wanted a big Clipper all my life and I found one. Came to my house last weekend.

I've found the body number on the right side of the cowl along with the pressed in numbers in the fire wall. On the left side (Driver's side) there is supposed to be an ID plate with the VIN or the 1947 version of a VIN. I do have the plate but it's wiped clean. No black. No Packard patent numbers. Nothing except it is clearly stamped about a third of the way down the plate and centered the numbers 2122-4819.

Is that the VIN number and what should show on a title?

Thanks for any help, I'll probably have a million stupid questions.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:45
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print   

Re: 2122 Clipper ID question.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Hello StanJo,
I found this post very helpful in understanding this.

Regards,
troglodyte

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:59
Ok, well for starters I'll have
Who, What, When and Where,
and then Whither, Whether, Whence and Wherefore to follow
and one big sideorder of Why.

... and the parts list please
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is technically the vehicle ID number. Standardized VIN's didn't appear for some years after your car was built. The 2122 is the series (21=1947 year production of 21st series) and (22 = 6 pass sedan in the custom super line). The 4819 is the sequence in the total production run of the customs. I can never remember what the starting number was for 21st series -- either 1001 or 2001 -- so your car would be either the 3819 or 2819th Custom sedan built.

Back in that time there was no standard method of registering cars so it depended on the state and what the manufacturer suggested. California for example as did many other states used the motor number to register while other states may have used the vehicle number. The motor number is stamped on the drivers side of block roughly above the distributor and if the engine is original should begin F5XXXX for the 21st series 356 engine.

Ironically, the only number on the car that is not removable is the large embossed body ID or "thief proof number" on the right side of firewall and that is the only number that wasn't really used except for factory purposes. There are few records of those numbers remaining today with exception of some that Owen_Dyneto has managed to collect for his database. If you haven't posted them already am sure he would appreciate knowing yours and the ID and motor number to add to his database.

If your car is still somewhat original and untouched, you may be extremely fortunate and find your build slip -- a narrow strip of teletype paper -- taped to the top of the glovebox or folded and wedged between the gas tank fill and vent tubes a few inches below the gas door. That would be the only place to find the original paint and upholstery codes as well as how it was ordered and equipped from the factory. If you do find it, they are generally extremely brittle and fragile so treat with care.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 17:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I'd very much appreciate the corresponding "theft-proof" number, the large embossed # on the firewall, 6 digits most likely beginning with a 7, and enclosed by end brackets.

And Packard identified your "2122-4819" as a vehicle number, they originally called it a Model Number but switched to calling it a vehicle number about 1906. The starting sequential production number for your 2122 was 2001.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 17:18
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
OK, here we go. Stamped into the dash are the numbers 713130 the ones may be and I. Not sure odd "font".

The body number is 2122-4417. I've been out with parts cleaner and a toothbrush but I am not finding the engine number maybe a little more exact guidance. On some other part of the forum I think it said the number my be near the bottom of the block. All new to me. What am I looking for are the raised, stamped in. stamped in deeply, how big are they?

Now will start the search for the build sheet.

Thanks so much for you help!

Posted on: 2014/7/21 18:04
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There should also be a Briggs body number. Briggs made bodies for Packards and affixed a plate to each of the bodies. It is on a small bright steel plate that is fastened to the engine side of the cowl wall on the right-hand side.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/21 18:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
I'm sorry, I misstated. The stamped numbers in the fire wall on the right side are 713130. The ones look like and I.

The body number also on a tag on the left side just below the anti-thieft number is 2122-4417.

Still no luck on engine ID number after rotary brushing for 5 inches around the freeze plug above the dizzy. Are they raised, stamped in, stamped in deeply, how big are they?

Sadly, could not find the build sheet.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 18:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is the 47 engine it should be just below the head around the dist but there is a chance the engine was replaced with a later or service engine. In that case there is a possibliity it is above the starter.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.99 KB)
209_53cda63b5cad6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.10 KB)
209_53cda65166ba3.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2014/7/21 18:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
Bingo! The picture helped a lot! Knocked off the rust, found some white paint and some Packard engine green but after cleaning it up and using some white paint for contrast I am sure the engine number is F513339 and in the original location. A quick look at the engine number range says it falls in the production range.

Does that mean I have the original engine?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 19:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
Bump.....Just wanted to know opinions about this being the original engine that was installed in the car.

Thanks as always for educating a newbie!

Posted on: 2014/7/24 10:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved