Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 155

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1947 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Hello I would like to introduce myself to this nice forum.
My name is Clemens and, since last week, I am proud owner of a 1947 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan. Always wanted to have a car from the forties.
Some time ago I decided: It is now or I'll never do it.

Resized Image
Resized Image

It came a long way, dirty and unwilling to start. After some charging and good wash it started to look like a car again.

Currently I am struggling with a lot of tiddly bits to get the car roadworthy i.e. it has to pass the German T?V.

The backing lights do not work, the cable running to the back comes from under the dash and starts in a tangle of black cables. I will have to investigate this further tomorrow.
There should be a switch for the backing lights and I suppose it should be somewhere on the gearbox. Could somebody enlighten me please?

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/7/21 17:38
Ok, well for starters I'll have
Who, What, When and Where,
and then Whither, Whether, Whence and Wherefore to follow
and one big sideorder of Why.

... and the parts list please
 Top  Print 

Re: 1947 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on a fine car. The switch for the backup lights is on a bracket at the end of the steering column in engine compartment just above the steering box. Switch could be one of two types. Both are a plunger operated by the first/reverse shift lever pushing the plunger in when in reverse. The original type has two terminals for light only but if your car has overdrive and had the overdrive reverse safety switch installed the switch will have 4 terminals. On the later switch, the two closest to the plunger are for interrupting the overdrive power and the two at the far end of the switch is the backup light.

If wired per factory suggestions, power will be coming from one of the aux body fuses at the end of headlight switch. Dealers many times installed the backup lights. That factory suggested power source could have been changed to one that is switched by ign key if the operator preferred to be able to park with lever in reverse and light not operate or could be fed by the taillight circuit so it only operated when lights were on. That power source you will most likely have to trace.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 17:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
God, I wish mine looked that good!

Posted on: 2014/7/21 19:17
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Thank you for your very fast response, Howard.
Your information about the correct wiring is an invaluable help!

A quick glance at the steering box yesterday showed: there is no switch, no wiring, no nothing ...
Could anyone provide a picture of this installment?

As for the wiring: I have to get at the light switch anyway, a perfect setting for installing cables the correct way.

Stan, my car may look good from above and not standing close to it, from below trunk and floor are a different matter ....
By the way: It was build only 146 cars later than yours ...

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/7/22 1:45

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you will send me an email address-I will send you a pic of my 47 Super Clipper back up light switch.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 9:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When you get the photo from packard1949 am sure his will show the correct final install and wiring. Not sure which version switch he has. In the meantime, here is a view of the second version or OD reverse safety switch and bracket. Note that for this photo I placed the switch 180 out so you can see the terminals. It was suggested the terminals be on the bottom so as to provide a bit more clearance between the metal bracket and what will be on this switch, 6v constantly hot terminals.

The wiring diagram is suggestions from Packard in adding accessories to a prewar Clipper. Since the accessories and switches are the same postwar there is very little if any difference in wiring. In this diagram, the heater shown is the deluxe heater/defroster with reversible motor so a different switch and extra wires. Postwar they typically used the two separate units -- defroster (or footwarmer as Packard called it) and underseat heater. Unless the car was well optioned and space for switches was tight, each had a separate switch and single wire for the motor. If things were tight, on occasion there might have been a switch hanging under the dash or a single switch could work two items if appropriate.

Most accessories were added by dealers who were free to do it their own way so diagram may not be followed precisely in all cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (109.09 KB)
209_53ce80de53db7.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (44.78 KB)
209_53ce80ea97dc7.jpg 711X554 px

jpg  (40.26 KB)
209_53ce80fccc4e4.jpg 642X706 px

Posted on: 2014/7/22 10:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Thank you packard1949, PM sent. Resized Image

And thank you again Howard, these pictures are just great. Resized Image

Since I am in the process of ordering the first batch of stuff, I will add a 4 terminal switch (if possible) to my order.
A major step forward ...

Regards,
Clemens

now where is that picture I took of my engine bay mumblrgrumlbrmumble ...

there they are:
Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/22 14:57

Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
You may very thankful that your primary color is NOT rust. Trust me, be happy!

Posted on: 2014/7/22 18:19
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Congratulations on a stunningly beautiful car. Seeing these two pictures in this perfect color combination makes me realize again just how timelessly elegant these cars are. They will never be "old".

Posted on: 2014/7/22 19:18
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Quote:

Jim L. in OR wrote:
Congratulations on a stunningly beautiful car. Seeing these two pictures in this perfect color combination makes me realize again just how timelessly elegant these cars are. They will never be "old".

I have to agree, Jim L. Even though I was little, I still remember riding in Dad's '47 (in the early '60's).

AND look how long Rolls-Royce used a strikingly similar body design!

Posted on: 2014/7/23 8:16
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved