Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1947 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
After the foregoing remarks, I can't pass up the opportunity to say that I have a very nice one for sale. Check out the ad in the For Sale Wanted section.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/23 10:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
After the foregoing remarks, I can't pass up the opportunity to say that I have a very nice one for sale. Check out the ad in the For Sale Wanted section.

(o{}o)

JW, if I had $22,547, you would no longer own that beautiful Packard. Alas, I do not...

Posted on: 2014/7/23 12:16
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
JW, indeed it is a very nice one. Could you persuade the SWMBO I'd like to buy it ...

Thanks to packard1949 I can now post a picture of the switch in situ:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/7/24 14:07
Ok, well for starters I'll have
Who, What, When and Where,
and then Whither, Whether, Whence and Wherefore to follow
and one big sideorder of Why.

... and the parts list please
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is the original 2 wire switch and will work perfectly well if you get one. If you have no overdrive or the later R11 overdrive retrofitted then there is no need for the 4 wire safety switch shown in my photo.

If you have the original R9 overdrive and since you need a switch anyway you may want to consider getting the 4 wire. That 4 wire safety switch was released in 47 to be retrofitted to try and prevent an issue and resulting damage to the OD if an electrical problem kept the overdrive solenoid engaged after coming to a stop. If the operator selected reverse gear while OD was engaged there could be a lockup problem. The safety switch completely cut power to overdrive when reverse was selected so solenoid was forced to drop out.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 14:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
the switch with 4 terminals is ordered already and hopefully on its way soon ...

Posted on: 2014/7/24 14:39

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Howard - I like your wiring diagram . Is the head light switch a little different on the 21st series and my 48 22nd series ?

Posted on: 2014/7/25 9:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
Howard - I like your wiring diagram . Is the head light switch a little different on the 21st series and my 48 22nd series ?

As to physical layout and how it operates, considerably. As to the terminal labels and associated functions typical of the headlight switch, no. The big wiring difference is how Packard handled other items.

Prior to 22nd series the headlight switch was used as a feed point for many accessories and body lights. Those feeds came from auxiliary fuses located on the switch. With 22nd series onward those feeds came from other places and were protected by either inline fuses or aux circuit breaker(s) located on the rear of instrument cluster. A single circuit breaker on the end of the headlight switch was all that remained on the switch. It protected the head, park, tail, license and dash lights. On 22-23 series the breaker also protected the trunk light if the car was so equipped.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 10:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
My 48 has the four connector switch, but no backup lights. Do you have a diagram of the feeds to the lockout portion of this switch. ( 22 series ) ?

Posted on: 2014/7/25 11:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The safety portion is only used with the R9 so if your car has or was converted to the R11 there is no need for the switch. The terminal layout of the switch is in post 6 of this thread and here is the schematic for the R9 connection.

The backup lights could have been fed from several places and I don't have a factory recommendation for 22nd series. It could be from the aux breaker which would have been the same as the fuse on the headlight sw for Clippers. That would be a constant powered source. If a customer or dealer wanted it controlled, it could have been from the tail light connection of headlight switch if they only wanted it to work when lights were on or from ign sw GA terminal if they wanted it off when car was off. If powered from ign sw, an inline fuse for the light would be a good idea.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.56 KB)
209_53d28b663dc23.jpg 477X366 px

Posted on: 2014/7/25 11:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Thank you Howard for your ongoing supply of knowledge! I really appreciate this! So much easier to figure out how things work in my clipper.

Is there any chance you have a complete wiring diagram that is still readable after printing? The one I found in the manuals sections is barely readable.

How can I remove the speedometer section and the middle section for easier access to all the switches?
Light switch is not contacting proper so lights go out when driving over a bump or into a pothole. The wiring under the dashboard is a mess (dead ends, uninsulated cables, the lot) and I'd like to sort that out before I start cruising around.

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/7/26 13:26

Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved