Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1947 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are no really good 47 schematics that I've found. The printing seems to be a blur on all with the AEA version available at the main PAC site about the best. Here is a reasonably hi-res copy of one of those for the 2106. I reworked it a bit for my car to add the Electroclutch option. No idea how it will print.

There is no easy way to just remove the pot metal pieces to access the switches. Everything bolts or screws from the back and some things have to remove to access the screws. To remove the center section, the switches have to remove anyway because the loom is too short for switches to move much and the slots in the dash metal behind the chrome piece are too narrow to let one or two switches pass. Headlight switch is one of the large switches. To remove a switch, the knob comes off the shaft by loosening the setscrew with an allen wrench and then the nut or fastener down inside the well removes with a deep socket or nutdriver.

The speedometer is a single piece held in by 3 screws and the instruments can be removed from the cluster two at a time. They are in mounts which screw to the cluster which in turn screws to pot metal and dash. The entire cluster can be removed but there are some shared screws so figure everything out if you want to do that. If you do remove the instruments, the opening in the cluster is marginal -- almost smaller than the gauges so you have to carefully manipulate and twist so as not to scratch or damage the front.

Here are a few photos showing what you will be working with in taking apart the dash.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 1,659.24 KB; Hits: 36

jpg  (21.54 KB)
209_53d3fcf5bcbba.jpg 640X295 px

jpg  (19.18 KB)
209_53d3fcff35b06.jpg 640X273 px

jpg  (14.87 KB)
209_53d3fd082b86e.jpg 640X174 px

jpg  (26.50 KB)
209_53d3fd1394a20.jpg 640X494 px

jpg  (29.63 KB)
209_53d3fd2075847.jpg 640X356 px

jpg  (34.18 KB)
209_53d3fd2c3a90b.jpg 433X640 px

jpg  (77.22 KB)
209_53d3fd3abf885.jpg 1280X454 px

Posted on: 2014/7/26 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Thank you again very much Howard, this diagram prints out way better than the one I downloaded some time ago.
I am coloring all the wires for easier understanding. When I am done, I will post it here.

Your pictures are a great help and there is some progress here.

While tinkering with the non working horns I found some unused cables with no apparent terminals near them to connect with.
The upper two are connected to horn terminals S and B (original brown cable bypassed), but the lower cables?
Resized Image

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/7/27 16:12
Ok, well for starters I'll have
Who, What, When and Where,
and then Whither, Whether, Whence and Wherefore to follow
and one big sideorder of Why.

... and the parts list please
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yours looks a bit different than my 2106 in that it has a separate wrapped section off the loom and I can't get a complete length reference from your photo. On mine that section of loom feeding the horn exits from the short trifurcation part of main loom at the point where regulator and OD relay wires exit and is just a continuous wrapping almost the entire length with only wires exiting. There is another wrapped section exiting the same trifucation place that goes down toward starter solenoid.

Depending on whether your car has the Electro clutch I believe the upper or horn section has either 4 or possibly 6 or 8 wires in total. I can't tell for sure how many you have but looks like 4 with maybe a modern wire taped on??

Without EC, it has 4 wires and from the start point it goes about 18-20 inches toward the horn where 2 horn wires exit and other two continue on another approx 16 inches to the carb starter switch. Horn will have the forked spade type connectors as does the starter switch.

If you have or had the EC, the accelerator switch and lockout solenoid have to be connected.. Accelerator switch - 2 wires - most likely is in that horn section but not sure if lockout solenoid - 2 wires - comes out of that section or if it comes up from below. All of those EC wires should have push on Douglas type connectors.

If that doesn't jive with what you have then I will have to see more of the loom and something of your engine and firewall to see what is there.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Quote:

Depending on whether your car has the Electro clutch I believe the upper or horn section has either 4 or possibly 6 or 8 wires in total. I can't tell for sure how many you have but looks like 4 with maybe a modern wire taped on??

Without EC, it has 4 wires and from the start point it goes about 18-20 inches toward the horn where 2 horn wires exit and other two continue on another approx 16 inches to the carb starter switch. Horn will have the spade type connectors as does the starter switch.

That is what I was looking for!

The modern tape was my work. I had to replace the wire connecting the horn button with the lower horn terminal.

The unidentified cables were tugged to the left hand side and attached with some cable ties but they are long enough to connect to the carb starter switch.

I will investigate this tomorrow!

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/7/27 17:49

Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Here comes the colored wiring diagram for the 21st Series.

Regards,
Clemens

Edit: File is edited now, left and right direction indicators are designated respectively.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 3:39

Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Edit: This post is obsolete now. I discovered I can edit attached files as well!
That's what I call learning by doing

While lying on the floor of my clipper and trying to figure out which cable is harmless and which will do major harm when getting disconnected I just discovered a flaw in the wiring diagram:

Colors for left and right direction indicator lights are crossed in the wiring diagram. I did not notice this while coloring. Work around:
Replace LEFT by RIGHT in your drawing and vice versa.
I do apologize for any inconveniences brought to you by the draftsman

Corrected Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/7/28 12:06

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks!
Wes

Posted on: 2014/8/1 22:47
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
After much time spent contorting myself under my clippers dashboard to fix all electric gremlins and mining a considerable amount of copper I found out the original wiring diagram to be correct.

If I connect left direction indicator light with the left indicator wiring circuit and same for the right indicators, then the right direction indicator light will blink when using the left indicators and vice versa. I connected it the way it is drawn in the original diagram and everything works like it should.

I do not get it how this is working. Not at all. Is there somebody who can explain this to me?

However: Life is always right, the original drawing was correct. The engineers at Packard obviously knew their job.

So please see attached file now which is the correct and original wiring, only enhanced with color coding.

Regards,
Clemens

Attach file:

pdf Size: 1,043.04 KB; Hits: 37

Posted on: 2014/8/2 10:17

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Great looking colored wiring diagram troglodyte, I will wait patiently for a 24th and 26th series wiring diagram (In color) to magically appear on the website too.

Regards, Steve.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 14:41
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
She's a beauty, I didn't read all the posts (too lazy) but anyway--how does it run? Any pics of the engine and interior?? I really like these cars--it's a full CCCA classic you know.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 20:05
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved