Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
50 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 49

CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carter WDO 531 SA
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
My carb is in pieces but it appears to be complete. I have put kit in a number of different carbs in the past. Kits I have found on line range between $50 and $70. I have received a quote from an on line source of $250 plus parts to rebuild it.

Is this a difficult cart to overhaul and if so whom would be recommended to do the job?

Thanks as always for giving info to the newbie!

Posted on: 2014/7/22 18:09
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print   

Re: Carter WDO 531 SA
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you are familiar with all the various circuits in the carb and their function and interaction, it's an easy carburetor to rebuild. But if you're not really well-versed in carburetors I'd either send it to Daytona Parts for a rebuild (IMO they are the best in the business by a mile), or get a rebuilt on an exchange basis from someone like Kanters or Merrit.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 22:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
I just ordered a kit fromhttp://www.thecarburetorshop.com/.

The owner contributes to the AACA forums as Carb King. I like what he writes. The kit was $75. When I told him I needed a flat accelerator pump rod he knew. That's a plus.

$250 is about two hours work for a shop that knows what they are doing. Lots of shops charge $80 and don't have a clue.

It is an easy carb and understanding each circuit is the key. The only hard part of the WDO is holding the choke unloader spring in place.

My problem was the leather cup of the accelerator pump drying out during long storage. I took it apart and soaked the cup in lanolin for a couple of days. I couldn't get the shape back so I just put the carb together half-assed so I could move the car until the kit arrives. Runs fine, just won't squirt. That's how forgiving those carbs are.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/7/23 7:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Stan:

The WDO is an improvement over the Stromberg in the application of metering valves using ported throttle vacuum. The valves allow for leaner burn during light cruise. The next major development was the use of computer controlled metering valves 30 years later. That was pretty much the end of carburetor development.

So if your carburetor is totally disassembled and the metering valve unit has been taken apart it will need to be set up using the correct gauges. Part of this adjustment sets the anti-percolator valves to prevent flooding after shut off.

Otherwise the car might burn a valve and be hard starting when hot.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 7:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved