Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help!? need help finding parts
Just popping in
Just popping in

jcotter
See User information
I have a 1955 Packard 400. in great shape; but the steering rack is leaking and i cant find one. also my self leveling all the sudden stopped now my front end is up and back end is down . any ideas?!?

Posted on: 2014/7/22 23:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Help!? need help finding parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well the steering rack is most likly bushings having worn out.
Most any Hydraulic shop acan handle that. As to the leveling problem, you will have to isolate the cause. It is either the motor or the brain box. Raise the car up so you can get under the car on the drivers side. You will see the T/L motor. hook a wire to each terminal and hook the other end to a 3 prong toggle switch. Run power to to the center prong of the switch, then apply the toggle switch and see if the motor activates. If it does then it is the brain box. You can then fix or replace the box if you want to or just leave the manual switch in and mount it under the dash and use it

Posted on: 2014/7/23 6:12
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
limit switch wire is grounded, and blew a fuse,

7-1/2 fuse and 20 amp fuse,, check them ,,engine compartment

Posted on: 2014/7/23 7:45
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
With all due respect, The T/L electrics are not that hard to fix correctly. I hate seeing these cars where the automatic feature doesn't work and someone has resulted to the manual switch idea. They usually wire it wrong, bypassing the limit switches. I know of cars that have been damaged this way.
One of the unique features of these cars is the automatic leveling, and it makes a great conversation starter at the local Ford-Chebby-Ford with a Chebby cruise night.
We'll get you through it.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 8:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean the power steering cylinder is leaking, the seals have probably failed. If the piston rod has not been scratched, rusted or otherwise damaged Kanterhttp://www.kanter.com/packard/pac-556.html has seal kits. A 400 will probably have the Bendix system with the separate control valve so that part could also be a source of leaks and could need a kit. If you have the one piece Monroe system he has kits for that unit as well. If the piston rod is damaged seals won't help much and it will be an exchange for a rebuilt unit which Kanter or Max Merritt can supply. You could also have yours rebuilt by one of the vendors which advertise in Hemmings.

On the leveler, if it failed suddenly there are a few possibilities. First thing to check is if the brake lights are working. The brake light switch supplies power to the level circuit when the lights are off and that switch is a frequent failure item. Also check the fuses as Riki mentioned. There is a 20 or 30 amp fuse inline in a red wire a short distance away from the starter motor which feeds the leveler motor and in 55 cars, the other fuse for brake lights is the "body feed" fuse in the fuse block under dash. If both of those are OK then it will be on to other things. If the large fuse is blown then the reason why needs to be determined. Let us know what you find and we can help you to the next step.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 8:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

jcotter
See User information
Thank you! i will let you know my findings for sure. I honestly was not expecting a response so quick!

Posted on: 2014/7/23 9:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day jcotter,
to PackardInfo and, I invite you to include your '55 Four Hundred in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 14:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your '55 Four Hundred Hardtop Coupe in the Registry!

Posted on: 2014/7/23 20:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved