Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 81

JD in KC, JW49, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Hesitation on initial acceleration
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

David Grubbs wrote:
If you pull the dash panel forward (remove the hot wire from the battery first, and then the speedometer cable), you can take off the circuit breaker easily and take it to NAPA for a replacement. Just keep in mind that the new one will be marked "BAT" which is for a negative ground, so just install it backwards. It will also be marked 12 volt, but circuit breakers don't care what the voltage is. The Napa number is 30055-10 and they cost $6.29. Easy to swap out.

I am about fed up with the NAPA stores around here (Minneapolis/St. Paul). After someone finally paid attention to me at the counter-- two guys walked right past me, somebody finally deigned to look at my PN.

He said he could have it by Saturday (this was Thursday evening) and I said that sounded all right and should I leave my name. Then he said, You'll have to pay for it now because there's a $5 shipping charge.

I asked why, didn't any NAPA stores in town have one. He said, No, it has to be ordered from our warehouse in Wisconsin.

I said I would see if I could do better.

I bet I can. What happened to NAPA? Are they ignoring regular customers and just relying on trade around town with shops that order parts?

Posted on: 2014/7/31 19:19
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I don't recall ever having to pay a shipping charge for a part coming from the warehouse at a major parts chain. Is this some new policy?

Posted on: 2014/7/31 19:25
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Napa has charged freight out here for years as do O'Reilly and Autozone. It is also aggravating to see an item on their site as being in stock at the warehouse -- of which Fresno has a large one -- only to find the item is at a different warehouse and the parts cost is less than half as much as the freight cost.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 19:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH, do you have a NAPA store near you? I do and what I do is call them with the catalog # of the item, they check to verify and order the part and tell me when it's expected which is usually the next day. No shipping costs obviously. And if you become the least bit of a regular they'll probably extend you a discount of 20 or 30% off list. Faster and much cheaper than ordering from their website.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 22:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I do and the store (and warehouse) I usually go to is less than a mile away. I always check to see if the website lists whatever as being available and write down the part number of a few possibilities. Since it is so close usually just drive over rather than call. That is when I find out the warehouse the site is referring to is usually one across the country. Parts prices are usually reasonable but the freight charge seems to be automatic and coming to Calif, hardly ever less than $8.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 22:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess I'm confused by "freight charges"; never paid one, never seen on one the invoice.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
OD, I think that's because you're located on the east coast, things are still pony express priced out west (which, confusingly because we're equidistant from any ocean, includes the friendly expanses of ND).

I do have my favorite NAPA store here, and usually I can get away with no freight if the part is coming from Minneapolis. Further than that and the price goes up, I think because it actually gets shipped rather than just coming in their normal truck.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 22:52
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
My local Kansas City NAPA has charged me freight for items coming from their Denver warehouse. They usually have what I need locally.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 8:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I found a circuit breaker at an O'Reilly store, in stock, for $4.19. It shows a "list" price of $7.10. I don't even know if it's the right one, but heck, at least they were courteous and even went to the rack to find the part. It doesn't appear to have a + or - or a "Batt" on it, and probably isn't right, but if it's not I'll just take it back and see what THEY charge to order the right one. The NAPA PN was not on their system.

The PN for what I got at O'Reilly was UCB10BP. Obviously a 10 amp circuit breaker of some kind. I picked it up when I was going to stop in the store for other things, so, no wasted trip. I'll try to post a pic. (It ain't much to look at.)

Posted on: 2014/8/1 19:18
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What you have is a universal 10 amp circuit breaker. They are not polarity sensitive so of course there would be no (+) or (-).

Posted on: 2014/8/1 22:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved