Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Clipper Air filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
My 54 Clipper has a throw away air filter, but it has been trimmed to make it fit in the air cleaner(height). What is the correct filter number? No number on the existing. I am sure there are several cars out there running these.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 12:53
 Top  Print 

Re: 54 Clipper Air filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Hi Willis,
If what you have is a paper filter, it's an aftermarket latter day item meant for some other vehicle and modified to fit your Clipper. The 1954 Specifications show an oil MESH filter is standard equipment with an oil BATH filter as optional equipment. Checking the parts list, page 200 group 9.102, all the 54th series filters are described as oil BATH. So we have a nomenclature discrepancy, but it is clear that your car came with an oiled air filter.

It looks like you have a choice between finding a paper filter like what's on your car now or sourcing an original oiled filter from someone like David Moe in Seattle. Were I in your driver's seat, I'd try to get the optional oil bath unit that was standard on the Packard car line; I've read that they are actually superior to the paper filters used these days.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 0:29
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
As for the mesh wire style element. You can actually get that at your local tractor supply. Now I will say it is not an exact reproduction as it is a little finer. It was in the early Ford Tractor parts section.It comes in small rolls. I bought 2 rolls to replace the element on a 48 Pontiac. I soaked it in oil and work perfectly.Hope this helps you.

James

Posted on: 2014/7/24 9:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Willis, I have converted the oil bath type air cleaners on all my Packards to the modern pleated paper type. I saved the center part of the air cleaners, the one with the media, in case future owners want to go back to the oil baths.

The pleated paper type is probably not any more efficient than the oil bath, but it is so much easier to service. The modern ones are more efficient than the oiled mesh type.

I go to an auto supply store with the center part I want to replace, or measurements of the part and scour through their filters until I find one that will fit. If you get the right size the filter element will not be noticeable. There should be no need to alter the element as there are a large variety of sizes. Altering would probably compromise its effectiveness.

You may want to get a new filter element to temporarily replace your hacked up one until an authentic (oil bath or oiled mesh) can be found. They are not expensive.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/24 10:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I check out finding the correct filter, in the meantime I will have my buddy at NAPA check out finding me a paper

Thanks again, as usual the answers are available on the best site for cars in the internet.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 19:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
John did not mention-you might want to start your search with a Purolator A30057-it fits my series 21 and I think I used it in the 23 series.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 7:09
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved