Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
55 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 53

Don Shields, flackmaster, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 21st series upholstery piping
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Windlace and robe rope different color than piping. Probably an attempt to compliment the headliner which does not match the interior fabric.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/17 12:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Still thinking about the piping. All the photos would seem to indicate a very close match to the windlace. We have found a fabric which is a decent square embossed pattern similar to but smoother than the original. We will use that for the windlace. Tannish and a good complement to headliner. Not convinced on using it for the piping yet because of the tan and blue together. Will see how it looks once a long thin piece has been made to lay against the blue.

On to another question. Since I have moved my rear seat back forward an inch for the plenum, the bolster also needs to have the padding and contour rearranged slightly to accommodate the move. Question is how the fit is made to the seat back. My upholstery is loose and not very tight on the seat but from everything I can see, on this seat even with the seat in the normal position there is still a slight triangular open space at the front.

Would really appreciate if someone would be so kind as to take a photo similar to this one. I opened the door and thru the open window right next to the pillar & upper hinge, aimed at the bolster/seat back area. All the photos I have are almost straight on from the out side or from the other side of car so not much help.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.07 KB)
209_5418601bef10d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/9/16 11:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Howard,
My seat and back have not been re-upholstered, but have covers on them. Looks like a nice ontoured fit to the arm rest.

Attach file:

jpg  (80.05 KB)
4217_541880110cb3d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/9/16 13:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks Mark. Could you confirm the raised portion of bolster meets or touches the seat back starting about midpoint in the depth at the top and except for the side there is nothing on the bolster really touching on the front half of the seat back in that door curve area?

Posted on: 2014/9/16 13:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, lots of interior photos of the 2106 for sale on eBay. There is one of the rear arm rests that may help you. A link to it got posted on my old 47 Clipper for sale posting. The windlace on this Clipper is much lighter in color than was on my car. Most attractive Packard.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/16 15:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks John, I saw those photos and collected a couple but the one showing that rear seat area still had a slight angle. The straight-on shot Mark took answers the fit question well -- just want to confirm now where the meeting point is located. I am going to tell upholsterer to bring everything forward on the bolster top by an inch -- same as the seat back. That should bring the meeting point to the center at roughly the same as where I think the old spot was located. Just want to make sure in case moving seat forward changed something I overlooked.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 15:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Howard,
Pretty sure I don't understand the follow up question. Here's a close up showing the diagonal seam on the armrest. The armrest is pretty flat in front of the seam and to the rear of the seam the rest angles up to meet the seat back. Give me a C- for this answer.
Mark

Attach file:

jpg  (81.40 KB)
4217_5418a93c558ee.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/9/16 16:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As mentioned, found a fabric with a similar pattern and color but unfortunately not the same texture as the original windlace. Upholster made those pieces and despite it being a smooth fabric instead of rough textured I think it looks relatively decent next to the headliner. Will now get those installed and the dash back in.

There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether the windlace and piping was the same color and the seat photos seem inconclusive. I have no sense of fashion and what colors go together so still can't wrap the few remaining active brain cells around the thought Packard placed tan next to blue for the piping. Guess that is what it must have been because to my eye the old pieces all look similar and the new looks fairly close in color to the old -- but how dirty or badly faded the originals might be is the question.

Before I commit to having the piping done would surely appreciate a few opinions in comparison with the earlier seat photos. Is this a correct color combination or something you would do on your car?

Attach file:

jpg  (66.19 KB)
209_5425c6e809a83.jpg 1280X616 px

Posted on: 2014/9/26 11:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH, that looks like as close a match as is likely to be had. Congrats on taking the time to seek it out.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 14:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm still in a quandary over the piping color. As several have mentioned, the upholstery piping color was the same as the windlace so the upholster and I went thru many books to find a color and pattern that was somewhat close to what we thought the faded and dirty original on the seats might have been. Asked him to do one small piece as a test and here it is.

Still can't quite grasp tan or beige and blue together but aside from the extremely faded blue, when laying the newly done on the old the piping comes out to be a decent match. You can see the dirty faded old original in post 12 where it almost looks white or creme color.

The beige and blue looks better together than I thought it would but I have no color sense so would really like some second opinions. Am wondering how many of you seeing the car on ebay with the tan headlining and that piping and blue upholstery would be thinking it is OK or calling it out as an incorrect interior and if incorrect is there a suggestion or something that would be a better option.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.74 KB)
209_55395a33be547.jpg 1006X1280 px

jpg  (104.82 KB)
209_55395a3dbd898.jpg 818X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/4/23 15:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved