Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 79

HH56, Ozstatman, Kenbwisc, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

16 cyl actually two 8 cyl engines?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
On youtube I saw either a 16 cylinder Cadillac or Packard, I can't remember, and I neglected to put it under my "Popular" tab. But, the guy said that the 16 cylinder engine was actually two eight-cylinder engines synced-up. That must have been a difficult engine to keep running smoothly.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/25 18:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 16 cyl actually two 8 cyl engines?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The first Cadillac V16 was, unlike the Marmon V16, essentially two inline 8s on a common crankcase and crankshaft. It was extremely smooth though of course you had two synchronise the two ignition systems just as with the Packard Twelves and the 33-34 Eights and Super Eights. Packard never made an automotive V16 though the did make diesel 16s for marine use.

Despite Cadillacs rather dated design of their first Sixteen, it was among the smoothest engines ever built.

PS - the early V8 engines were also generally two 4-cylinder blocks mounted to a common crankcase and crankshaft. The later (1938?) Cadillac V16 wss cast en-bloc in a single piece as was the Marmom V16 and the second (1932) Packard Twelve. The Marmon was a wet-sleeve design.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
That's it! It was a Cadillac v-16 I saw on Youtube. Your description is exactly what the owner said, although I could never have articulated it. And, yes, the engine was quiet as all get out. I bet that engine sucked up the gas.
kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/25 18:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The first series Cadillac V-16s were a work of design art. They were the first engines to receive attention from GM designers to style them for appearance. The wiring and plumbing were carefully routed so as not to be easily visible. The valve covers were designed with polished ribs and gloss painted surfaces. Manifolds were porcelain coated for a rich appearance. Fasteners were chrome plated rather than being painted. The Cadillac V-12s from this era received similar treatment. To see one of these fully restored engines is a treat and should not be missed.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/25 21:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Yes, the owner of the Cadillac 16-cylinder pointed out many of the aesthetic attributes to you mentioned. All I can say is Wow! To even make the engine as regal and visually appealing as the exterior speaks volumes about the spirit of the age.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/25 22:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Compare that to today's plastic covered engine bay's! My wife had a 03 Mercedes, and that dumb thing didn't even have a dipstick! I rather have a star in my windshield than on the front of the hood!

Posted on: 2014/7/26 8:33
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A "well-dressed" engine was expected on a high price car in the early to mid Classic era; the DOHC Duesenberg was certainly no slouch. Packard Twelves were well-dressed right up thru 1939, Lincoln as well.

Attach file:

jpg  (145.03 KB)
177_53d3b27462adb.jpg 1280X1086 px

jpg  (129.54 KB)
177_53d3b8e905c59.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (160.00 KB)
177_53d3b9e248cd3.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2014/7/26 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Amen! Even to someone like me whose knowledge about car engines would easily fit in a thimble, I can appreciate the aesthetics of an engine.

My late father, a WW II vet, often said that well-made and/or attractive things always inspired the owner to take care of them. Unlike now days, so many things are cheaply made and LOOK cheaply made; as such, few are motivated to care for them and just as soon replace them when they break.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/26 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Magnificent! Beautiful engines.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 9:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved