Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exhaust Manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Would anyone be able to tell me if a exhaust manifold from a 1951 400, supposedly the 288 engine, would fit my '49 288 engine. A gentleman I know came up to me at a cruise night and said that he had an intake/ exhaust manifolds, from a 51 400 that had a 4 barrel carb on it. If I am reading the parts manual correctly (5.0900) it lists the same manifold for several 22nd cars, 2301 (my car) and all 24th and 25th series.
My exhaust is leaking where someone has already brazed.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 0:03
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust Manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Yes,it should work but you may have to modify the heat tube for the automatic choke.

The original manifold assembly for a 1951 400 (9 main bearing 327) had a 2 barrel carburetor and used the same exhaust manifold as your car.

If the 1951 400 had a 4 barrel carburetor it is because the manifold from a 1953 or 54 model was installed. The heat stove on the 1953-54 exhaust manifold is different than the earlier models and is an external box on the outside of the manifold instead of a tube running through the exhaust passage.

As far as I know that is the main difference between the 1953-54 exhaust manifold and the earlier models and either one will bolt up to any 1948 to 54 intake manifold.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 1:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is a 4 barrel or later manifold, one other difference may be where the vacuum for the wipers originates. Earlier manifolds had a threaded port at the front of manifold with a short tube to the fuel pump. Not sure that port was still there on the 4 barrel or later manifolds because later engines had a longer tube going back to rear of carb area.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 8:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks guys. Figured it would, but wanted to run this buy the people that know. Now one step further. In thinking about this, I was going to pull the manifold off over the winter and see about a re-repair. It was brazed. I was going to grind out the braze, get the manifold hot and weld it with a nickle based welding rod, and let it cool slowly. But there are also issues, I believe with the threads that hold the two together. I was going to put in Helicoils. I'll make an assumption, (and those can bite back)that the 2 barrel and 4 barrel will be a different base....Yes?

Posted on: 2014/7/26 12:45

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Have you looked at Muggy Weld's products for welding cast iron? This should not be taken as an endorsement as I have not used any of their products yet, but may need to on repairing a pot metal trim piece.

Good luck and keep us advised on your steps and results.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
muggy is great on the pot metal repair

Posted on: 2014/7/27 9:37
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Any 48-54 exhaust manifold will bolt to any 48-54 intake manifold with no problems--EXcept the 48-50 356 engines which are unto themselves.

Sort of wonder why you want to repair your old manifold? There are stacks of decent ones available. At least in my cellar!.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Would rather replace it. I'll have to see if the guy that has it will separate the manifolds. If not, I may be in touch Ross.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 17:31

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved