Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

idle adjustment on 1934 1103
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi all,
The idle adjustment on my car seems to have increased for some reason and I'm not sure how to adjust it back to a slower amount of revs. The carburettor is a Stromberg duplex down-draft model, I don't know it's designation #. Can some one tell me the easiest way to adjust it please. I can only see three adjustment screws. one coming off the choke control and two screws off at the front of the carb.
Many thanks in advance
T

Posted on: 2014/7/26 2:27
 Top  Print 

Re: idle adjustment on 1934 1103
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Terry. Your carburetor is (or should be) a Stromberg EE-22 with the 1-3/16 venture size (std. Eight was 1-3/32). The two (brass) screws facing forward are the idle mixture screws. The idle speed adjusting screw is at the rear on the inside, next to the manifold, with a spring around it. The head faces upward. It's possible you may also have to lengthen or shorten the throttle link rod to the cowl (turnbuckle) if you can't get a proper adjustment.

If you want to adjust your idle mixture with a vacuum gauge, there is no provision for that on the intake manifold but over where the vacuum lines converge for the power brake selector and Bijur lubricator there is a removeable plug for that purpose.

Attach file:

jpg  (103.37 KB)
177_53d3a9343c63d.jpg 739X1040 px

Posted on: 2014/7/26 7:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Cheers Dave,
Is there a procedure for the adjustment? Do I just back off the idle screw or must I fiddle about with the idle mixture screws? I don't want to upset anything that will affect the running of the car. As always your help is much appreciated.
Take care
T

Posted on: 2014/7/26 10:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The proper way would be first set the idle speed to something reasonable although there is no specification that I'm aware of. If you have a 6-volt 4-cylinder dwell/tach (because it's really two 4-cylinder ignition systems) try about 375 rpm; otherwise as low an idle speed as the engine is comfortable with and resists stalling - mine idles comfortably and reliably at 350 rpm. Then install your vacuum gauge where indicated in the prior post and adjust the idle mixture to the maximum vacuum without extending the mixture screws beyond that point, or do it by-ear if you don't use a vacuum gauge (which is recommended). Then go back and reset the idle speed. Then recheck the idle mixture on more time.

But really if you haven't done it, you should first check and adjust if necessary the ignition timing on both #1 and #6 cylinders to get the best optimization. If #1 is timed properly and #6 isn't (or the reverse) you'll have to synchronize the twin points, or do it by trial and error; adjustment is made via the set of points on the moveable plate for #6 after timing #1 in the conventional manner.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 13:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Good info Dave, I'll give it a shot after I come back off holiday.
T

Posted on: 2014/7/27 1:36
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved