Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tachometers ??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I'm given to understand in 1939 Packard made a generator-driven tachometer as an option to replace the clock. It was a marketing device to illustrate the lowered engine RPM of the new R9 overdrive.

What years are visually and functionally the same?

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/7/26 11:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Tachometers ??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The tach was a one year only item, 1939 for the purpose noted, marketing the new overdrive. Visually, the 110/120 tach would be clearly 39 only due to the grey color, however the 39 Super 8 tach might could possibly be put in a 40-180, but the cognoscenti may catch it...

Posted on: 2014/7/26 13:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Thanks for clarifying it was a 1939-only option. Anyone have a sales book which would indicate if it were a demonstrator-only factory part or if any '39 could be ordered with it?

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/7/27 13:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know the answer to that question, but since it and the associated parts are listed in the Packard part listing for 1700, -1, -1A, -2, and 1703, -3A, and -5, I'd assume it could be had on any of those models from the factory or the parts purchased for dealer installation. It's on page 247 in my 1935-41 Pars List.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 13:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It's only listed in the Packard parts directory. It is not listed in the Accessories Catalog. As mentioned, the tachometer was not meant for end-user in mind. It was only meant for dealers to use as a demonstration device.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 15:24
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
Thanks for clarifying it was a 1939-only option. Anyone have a sales book which would indicate if it were a demonstrator-only factory part or if any '39 could be ordered with it?

jack vines

I'm curious about the 39 only use. The photo of the item in the display case in post 27 on the AACA thread sure looks like it would match the 1940 180 instruments.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Looks, yes. Correct, no. Its from a 39 Super 8.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 17:03
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved