Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hood Bumpers
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Hello all,

I have had hood shake problems (not all attributable to the fact that the safety catch was busted. I got one of those from Packard51--a big shoutout to him!).

The problem now is, I'm almost sure I am missing two rubber coated adjustable "bumpers" that attach to the inner lip at the front of the hood. I don't think the new safety catch will cure that. It's only there if the main latch lets go, and the main latch works.

There are even slight round marks on the... whatayacallit?--apron?--that the bumpers, which support the front of the hood, used to rub.

Are these parts store items or do I have to specially order them to fit this hood?
What are they called, anyway? I don't even know if "bumpers" will mean anything to anybody.

Right now, I just have rags (don't laugh, it helps) rolled up and tucked under where the front edge contacts the whatayacallit... I always forget the name of that apron between the grill and the engine compartment.

Help out a dumb guy anybody?

Posted on: 2014/7/26 13:51
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Re: Hood Bumpers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steele Rubber has it all, all the hood bumpers are just ordinary catalog items, as it almost every other rubber part in the car.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 13:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thank you OwenDyneto,

Would they have 'em at the parts store? (I don't have anything to match them with. The old ones are just gone. Probably in someone's shop because they forgot to put them on after painting or something.)

The lack of bumpers is probably why the hood safety catch tip broke off. Hood jumping up and down against it with great vigor when it wasn't fully latched. Weird stuff you find, eh? I guess there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Now what's the name of that apron thingy, again?

Posted on: 2014/7/26 14:06
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What could be easier than just going to the Steele Rubber website and ordering what you need? Or picking up the telephone and calling them? Here's the appropriate page from the 2009 catalog with pictures and part numbers, and how many required per car. Prices will of course be higher now.

Attach file:

jpg  (140.77 KB)
177_53d40dd6ac0c0.jpg 654X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/7/26 15:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks, Owen??Dyneto

Finally figured out how to put in that underline.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 16:51
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Well, I ordered them from Steele. Really easy over the phone because of PN that Owen gave me. I gave a shoutout to the sales guy about PackardInfo.

The bumpers, (called Pad, Hood) still have the same PN shown above. It takes 4 of them, and the price is just a bit higher than shown in the above 2009 catalog. (That's enough about Steele.)

I just really appreciate the ease with which I am making progress on this car with the help of folks on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:02
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved