Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carb adjustment screws on Carter WGD 2102S
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
The idle mixture adjustment screw on the Carter WGD 2102S carb on my '54 Clipper with the 327 engine seems pretty self-explanatory. The shop manual says turn it out 1 to 1 & 1/2 turns. That worked OK.

The question I have doesn't seem to be in the manual (probably because it tries to cover all years from '51 to '54, and the carbs apparently differed in '54).

What is the screw on the right front side of the throttle plate for, and how do I adjust it? Is it a "high speed" mixture adjustment, or something else?

Posted on: 2014/7/28 21:04
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Re: Carb adjustment screws on Carter WGD 21025
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 1 to 1-1/2 turns is really just an approximation or a starting point for adjusting idle mixture. Adjustment is best done with a vacuum gauge, setting for maximum vacuum consistent with not extending the mixture screw any further outward than that point.

I'd need a picture of the other adjustment screw, and there is no external high speed mixture adjustment. Is the screw just the idle speed adjustment?

Posted on: 2014/7/28 22:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Carb adjustment screws on Carter WGD 2102S
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
The 1 to 1-1/2 turns is really just an approximation or a starting point for adjusting idle mixture. Adjustment is best done with a vacuum gauge, setting for maximum vacuum consistent with not extending the mixture screw any further outward than that point.

I'd need a picture of the other adjustment screw, and there is no external high speed mixture adjustment. Is the screw just the idle speed adjustment?

I've got the idle mixture adjustment at about 1.25 turns, which seems about right. I might fiddle a bit with it. Enriching it increases idle RPM, leaning decreases it (obviously) so there's also balancing out the idle speed with the throttle set screw.

No, the other mixture screw is probably not another idle mixture adjustment. I don't want to touch it, because I don't know what it does.

I don't have a pic of the set screw on the right of the throttle body (as you face the carb), but can get one if nobody out there knows about this screw on the 2-barrel Carter WGD 2102S.

I give the model number because I don't think it's the exact same carb as the regular WGD. In the shop manual, the number is specific to the '54 2-barrel. There is no number given on the earlier WGD 2-barrel carbs, nor in the section in the manual on re-building and setup--it's just called WGD. Nothing additional info or supplement for the WGD 2102S.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 10:57
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Just a guess: Does the stop for the adjustment screw have steps and is the step connected to the choke plate with a rod? If so, this would be the adjustment for the fast idle. With choke plate closed the adjustment screw would be on the top step. As the choke warms up the screw would rest on lower and lower steps until the engine is warm and the throttle stop screw position determines the engine idle speed. The idea is to provide a faster speed when the engine is cold and warming up.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/29 14:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Fast idle on the WGD carburetor is adjusted by bending the choke connecter rod according to the service manual.

There are 2 idle mixture adjustment screws on the carburetor, one for each barrel. Have both of them been adjusted?

Just for information, the earlier model of the WGD is a 928S and differs from the 2102S by having the throttle start switch which was no longer needed in 1954 due to key start.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 14:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BDeB wrote:
There are 2 idle mixture adjustment screws on the carburetor, one for each barrel. Have both of them been adjusted?

Just for information, the earlier model of the WGD is a 928S and differs from the 2102S by having the throttle start switch which was no longer needed in 1954 due to key start.

I have adjusted only the one on the left. I didn't want to mess with the other one until I knew more about it. Thank you very much for your information.

Does it make any difference which screw is adjusted first? Just for starters, I plan to try them both at one turn out from stop, then in increments to the same exact setting. I guess it'll be a matter of fiddling with them after that.

Thanks also for clarifying that the Carter WGD 2102S differs from the earlier model, which is not identified by number in the shop manual anywhere that I can see-- it's just called the "WGD" carburetor. In the specs in the back of the shop manual, the '54 carb is identified as the WGD 2102S

Interesting and useful stuff!

Posted on: 2014/7/29 21:53
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is it a 21025 or a 2102S. On my '54 it is a 2102S.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 13:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
BigKev,

You're probably right. The eyes ain't what they used to be, and the spec page is a little dim to me.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and change the references in the thread.

That's what BDeB had in his post, now that I squint at it. I'll go ahead and change the name of the thread, and my posts if I can still edit them.

Thanks for pointing that out. Have you adjusted your carb yet? I'm new at this.

Edit: I could only change the name of the thread on my own posts, so I guess It's up to you, Kev, to change the whole thread name, if you want to.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 19:44
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved