Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 152

Packard Don, todd landis, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What would Packard have done.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As some know I'm working on adding front AC vents on the 47 while mostly maintaing a "how Packard would have done it look" for the installation. The plumbing is worked out but the decision on look and where to place the vents is still a work in progress.

The question is how do you think Packard would have done a front vent in a prewar car had they actually made one. The rear package shelf vent is nothing ornate -- somewhat plain actually. I believe it was natural pot metal but suppose it could have been painted. The heater vent in limos was beige plastic and also fairly plain.

Because of where the ducts have to run the location can be either centered between the sun visors or a vent over each door or even both locations

Had been leaning toward using a heater vent grille to match the front plastic centered between the visors. Wasn't totally sold on that because of the size and fact it is so plain with just a few wide slots and no adjust. The upholsterer made a couple of suggestions which started me wondering if Packard would have used something like the plastic or would they have made something like the rear vent instead and where would they have placed it with the options available.

Am also wondering since anything in front would have been quite visible, with the windshield molding and steering column chromed and so much else is woodgrained, would they have made something to match one of those instead.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 23:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: What would Packard have done.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I would suggest that Packard would have integrated it with the defroster fittings at the base of the windshield surround. A/C would soon cool the dash and cold air from that would cool the occupants....just my 2C. PT

Posted on: 2014/7/29 3:00
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
while integrating with the defrost would integrate well, there could be a functional problem in humid climates. The cold glass would cause moisture to condense on the outside of the windshield. Packard was in some transition with the Clippers on interiors - the 40-42 conventional cars use a lot of Tenite plastic to achieve decorative shapes and colors, but I think Packard was moving to die cast and plated - compare the preceding 41 non-Clipper interior to a 22nd series interior.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 6:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I would suggest incorporate with the fresh air vent that opens just behind the hood.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 8:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I agree with bkazmer, Packard was moving away from the plastic grills (by 1947 they must have seen what the desert sun does to Tenite). I would have expected a chromed outlet of some sort in the Custom.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 9:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions. Packard certainly could have done something with the defroster and cowl vent areas since they worked the 55-6 vents into the top of dash right next to them. Pre 51 dashes are bit narrower than later ones so not sure there would be enough room in the top of dash but they might have made something to go under.

I don't have that option in this car because I am trying to keep modifications down to the "remove with a screwdriver category". Getting ducts into the dash area would require large holes. I tried to find a way to use the sill areas as another poster suggested. They are large and hollow and would have been a perfect route but are solid at each end. Couldn't figure a way into the space and didn't want to make obvious changes in the metal. With exception of one large visible hole I had to drill in the trunk shelf for the refrigerant lines, have managed to take advantage of already open spaces. Ducts run above the headliner so will have to stay at the top of windshield or door areas.

Instead of the single large square plastic between the visors, am now leaning toward 3 vents. Two smaller vents above the doors and a single larger vent between the sunvisors . Thinking of solid chrome rectangles since black would be too modern looking. Vents could possibly be painted beige or woodgrained but I'm also thinking chrome would be more appropriate for the Custom.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 9:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
An ignorant suggestion/question:

does a 21st Clipper have the fresh air inlet grilles in the front kick panels that a 22nd - 23rd bathtub does? That would be a really easy (and invisible) tie-in point

Posted on: 2014/7/29 9:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:

----does a 21st Clipper have the fresh air inlet grilles in the front kick panels that a 22nd - 23rd bathtub does? That would be a really easy (and invisible) tie-in point

Unfortunately, No. Only vent is the cowl vent.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved