Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

53 Cavalier, dick29, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

When do Packs stop being "original"?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Is there a rule of thumb in the restoration process when a Packard is no longer considered "original"?

kind regards,
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:45
 Top  Print   

Re: When do Packs stop being "original"?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
You will get a lot of opinions on this subject. I have a 36,000 mile car with original paint, chrome and interior. But in my opinion I don't call it original. I have new tires, water pump, fuel pump, seals, timing chain, wheel bearings, belts hoses, etc. A lot of service items. I have a friend who has a 6000 mile 1948 Packard that has all the parts that I changed still original. To me his car is truly original. Lets get other opinions and see where this thread leads.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I rather thought this might prove to be a rather thorny issue entailing a myriad of variables/factors and depending on who is queried.

For instance, can a "survivor" be termed "original" even if it's had key mechanical components replaced necessary to keep the car running?

The issue of "original" plagues antique restorationists, whether it's a piece of furniture, porcelain, statuary, mechanical device, or even paper goods, such as campaign/movie posters.

kind regards,
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/29 19:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
I think there are two views of originality in my book. The first is when the buyer has to redo the previous owner's work to make the car "correct".
The second is when the seller whines that they can't get enough money for their car because buyers say it will cost too much to undo the owner's work.

There is always the one true question as a guide: "How do you appraise a Bentley with a Rolls-Royce grille?" > "Bentley, missing grille."

All cars are planned to have consumables.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/7/29 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I consider a car with all body and accessories and all major mechanical components having been born with, and still together with the car as original. I do not think tire,belt hose water pump replacement removes a car from this status. The term survivor and correct are an issue for me. Even a low mile pre war car may have ALL components original but had a leak in a wheel cyl and a contaminated shoe. Keep it "original" and drive it unsafely or replace those and not call or original or never drive it due to unsafe brake linings and tires and trailer it? the first option is the only one for me.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
part original,,,,might fit,,,,no rechrome, would be original,,

Posted on: 2014/7/29 21:35
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Qualification for AACA's HPOF (historical preservation of original features) does not penalize for replacement of those items considered to be normal service/replacement items as long as they are replaced with new but correct items. Such normal service items are tires, holes, belts and many more.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 22:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved