Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cam swap 288ci
Just popping in
Just popping in

carl52
See User information
Hello I am kinda new to the site. I have looked around some and this question may have been asked, however I did not find. I have a '52 288 with solid lifters in it and i also have another 288 with hydraulic lifters. I want to know if the cam and lifters are interchangerable.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 10:44
 Top  Print 

Re: cam swap 288ci
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day carl52,
to PackardInfo. And for including your '52 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 14:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just keep the solid lifters with their own cam and the hydraulics with their own cam. No other change is necessary except the weep hole in the welch plug that sprays oil out onto the timing gears--it is smaller on the hydraulic lifter engines to conserve oil for the lifters.

I assume you are installing the solid setup in a hydraulic engine; in that case I would leave the welch plug alone and just keep the smaller hole.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 20:28
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

carl52
See User information
Sorry I was a little unclear about what I was wanting to do. What I'm wanting to do or know is can I put the hydraulic lifters and cam into the solid engine.

The engine that I rebuilt had the solid lifters and cam in it, however I have another engine sitting around that had the hydraulic cam and lifters

Posted on: 2014/7/31 8:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
carl, I think Ross already answered your question. You'll need to change the timing chain lubrication port to retain higher oil pressure for the hydraulic lifters. Your choice of course but given the cost of newly manufactured replacement hydraulic lifters should you need them, I suspect quite a few folks would chose to retain the mechanical lifters.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 10:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'm with Owen. I would only install hydraulics in lieu of solids if the owner of the car put a gun to my head. Adjust the solids properly once hot and running and never think about them again for the rest of your natural lifetime. The solids make hardly any extra noise at idle, are unnoticeable at speed, and will not act up without explanation.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 12:50
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

carl52
See User information
Thank you guys for the info

Posted on: 2014/7/31 13:43
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved