Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wayne's 56 400
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WW400
See User information
Hoping to start a blog on my current acivities with my 1956 Packard 400. Im in Australia so parts take a while to get here. My car is in the owners registry, Its a real project. It came from a boneyard in the Mojave Desert but was originally drlivered to Elryia Ohio.
The car had no engine or transmission and is missing many parts which had been stripped off. I bought it off a Hot Rodder who wasnt bothered by such trivial concerns. I have since aquired a 56 Executive 352 engine.

My short term goal is just to tidy the car up rather than do a full resto. Enjoy it as a museum piece.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 6:21
 Top  Print 

Re: Wayne's 56 400
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WW400
See User information
31/7/2014
Fitted a Packard wheel to replace a bodged up one which had the wrong stud patern. Car rolls better now.
Tried to fit the rear 55 bumper I have but the 56 brackets have a larger off centre cam like bolt so I need to find a drill press.
1/8/2014
Fitted the glovebox door but found one hinge fouled on the starter switch. What did I do wrong?
Noticed some holes for a small plaque on the drivers side front fender, where they put the Esquire badge. Who would put such a small plaque on their car?

Next task is to get the trunk lid to close. But need a new hinge. Would 51-54 Clipper hinges fit?

Attach file:

jpg  (12.01 KB)
2316_53dc1ce3c1ba2.jpg 669X404 px

jpg  (34.21 KB)
2316_53dc1d37528cc.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (29.67 KB)
2316_53dc1d89c7264.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (43.34 KB)
2316_53dc1de1d38fa.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2014/8/1 6:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Wayne,

Pictures always help in explaining some problems.

I can't answer the hinge question, but look at the parts books found on this site for help.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 8:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Well, if your 400 is an Esquire, then you have a very rare car. George Hamlin has written several Cormorant articles about Esquires and the guy who made them happen: Harry DuBois, the Packard Distributor for the Washington DC region. At the suggestion of Jim Nance, Harry set out to "Caribbeanize" mostly 1956 400 hardtops (although a few Patrician sedans were also made) because they could find willing buyers beyond the limited supply of Caribbeans. Apparently somewhat less than 20-24 cars were made as Esquires. These were not the usual dealer customs but were purpose-built at the factory with dual cowl hoods, side and tail trim that looked like the Caribbeans, minus the interiors and 310 hp engine. From what I know, all of the Esquires came from Harry's region that included Washington, DC, Baltimore and Northern Virginia. My hardtop is a very late production car (4121) car that apparently was an orphan left-over at DuBois Motors, still unsold after Christmas 1956. The body identification number has a blank space in the Trim spot, so that might explain the Esquire factory assembly.

I only know of a few Esquires still remaining and to think that one may be in Os is amazing. Please feel free to PM me if you want to compare cars or notes. We both may be in very exclusive company.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 8:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
The trunk lid on a 56 hardtop is shaped differently from the earlier models and it may have more metal weight to it. But it also has less ornamentation at the handles, so things may even out. In any case, if you find a hinge, I would shoot for a 56 hardtop hinge, and then see the tension adjustment instructions on the spring that's shown a few weeks ago on this forum. My trunk lid balance is barely sufficient. Once open, it stays up, but might not in a heavy rain. The same goes for the 56 dual cowl hood.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 17:55
 Top  Print 

Wayne's 56 400 some photos, 2/8/14
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WW400
See User information
Sorry about the grainy photo, need more light. Its just the end of th rubber stopper which fouls the ignition barrel.
attached is the handpainted on the roof 4 digit serial, 9970, not factory? possibly boneyard?

Not an Esquire just these six holes in the drivers side only.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.19 KB)
2316_53dc1f7d4ef49.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2014/8/1 18:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Wayne,

Good to hear things are progressing with your Four Hundred. Seeing the pic's makes me realise I haven't seen it in the metal. Have to come and have a look one time when I'm up on the Central Coast.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 18:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WW400
See User information
Your welcome anytime Mal. Looking forward to that Somersby Garden party in November but we don't think we'll make it in our Packard!

Posted on: 2014/8/1 19:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The 54 Clipper trunk hinges will fit just fine.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 20:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
PM Sent

Posted on: 2014/8/1 20:42
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved