Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'55 dashboard light harness
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I have downloaded the schematic but a study of the harness for the dash lights does not seem to connect up to power anywhere.
Might someone have the color and origin of the wire?
Danke!

Posted on: 2014/8/5 17:02
 Top  Print   

Re: '55 dashboard light harness
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The dash lights get power from the tail light terminal on headlight switch via a short jumper wire connecting to the rheostat wiper. The rheostat assy is on knob side of ceramic. Goes thru rheostat and then on to dash bulbs. I believe those are all 18 ga black wires. Courtesy lights also have their manual on/off switch as a second function of turning the headlight switch knob. That contact connects courtesy lamp bulbs to ground and is on the side of ceramic toward the engine.

If the lights are connected properly and powered but still no dash light, oxidation and corrosion on the wiper assy and a minuscule surface area on the connections via rivets from terminals to rheostat seem to be a persistent problem with old long sitting switches. The least bit of extra resistance anywhere in the circuit seems to kill the lights. Typically corrosion sets in on the plate the wiper slides against and between the tiny lip of peened over rivet and the terminal.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.31 KB)
209_53e15902b03db.jpg 729X292 px

jpg  (35.68 KB)
209_53e15b26a2584.jpg 790X486 px

Posted on: 2014/8/5 17:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
On my car I had to twist the bulb sockets a little behind then dash. Just enough corrosion to keep them from making a ground.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 19:01
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You will be impressed with the instrument lights when you get them working. They cast a warm golden glow. Most soothing and attractive.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/5 21:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
HH, you are THE man. The detail you provided was not visible on my print. And JW, I could use some 'soothing", this car has been anything but. Thus far.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 21:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Is it possible to remove the whole dash as an assembly? I would like to do some general clean up and removing the instrument cluster still leaves behind the switches, like the headlight. Maybe I missed something in a search of the manuals posted here.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/8/11 20:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes but it is somewhat of a project with everything that needs to be disconnected and pulled thru with the dash. I've done it by myself but a helper is a good idea because the dash is bulky and heavy.

Download the 55-6 AC install manualhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/55-56ACInstall.pdf There is a fairly decent procedure on how to remove the dash -- although because of the install they are doing, it does go a bit farther on a couple of things than is needed to just remove the dash for cleaning and service.

Posted on: 2014/8/11 20:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Does anyone know the name of the round electrical connectors used on wires for the switch? I pulled the switch out of my Clipper but it is missing the jumper from the linear switch to the rheostats.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 11:08
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is a standard .156 diameter male bullet connector. You can get crimp ons at most parts stores. To more closely duplicate what the factory used you can remove the plastic insulation from the crimp ons and solder the wires to the connector or buy non insulated solder on type terminals at McMaster.

Attach file:

jpg  connector.jpg (16.61 KB)
209_651aedc61dd65.jpg 1058X550 px

Posted on: 2023/10/2 11:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information

Posted on: 2023/10/2 13:02
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved