Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 73

Ross, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door jack--reliable and low cost--if possible!!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
The 4 doors of my 49 Standard Packard are telling me they need to be patched. I am telling my Packard I will undertake the job, if I can purchase a door jack to help with the task.

At my un-youthful age "Wrassling" car doors alone is something I don't want to do without a door jack.

Said door jack must be reliable and fit a modest budget.

Your suggestions regarding your own use of a door jack will be my guide.

Thanking you in advance for your advice and suggestions!!!

Zougeride

Posted on: 2014/8/10 9:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Door jack--reliable and low cost--if possible!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
how about one of these? The price isn't bad, and 450 pounds should be way more than adequate.http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

Posted on: 2014/8/10 9:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are a few inexpensive door jacks from ebay stores that are in the $100-150 range including shipping. If this link works and shows the same page I see, down toward the middle of the page is one that fits on a floor jack. If you have a jack where the saddle will remove, that might be an option.

Many years ago I built something crude but similar for my floor jack out of plumbing pipe and fittings. To keep the weight of the door from trying to unscrew the fittings at certain places I drilled thru a few of the joints and inserted a pin (nail). Some padding and away I went. Of course, it didn't tilt and twist like a real door jack and like I said, was crude. It was cheap and worked for what I needed though.

Posted on: 2014/8/10 10:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
I bought an 80 gallon upright compressor a couple of months ago and did the same thing to unload it that I did when we moved "my wife's" washer and drier into "her" new upstairs laundry room.
I went up to the corner gas station and convenient store. It only took about 10 minutes before two guys came in for a lunchtime snack. 20 bucks each time saved my back. I bet $50 would get those doors hung with a real big Thank You!
Bernie
BTW, both times I could have drawn a picture of the guys BEFORE I even saw them.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/8/11 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Engine lift and a couple of nylon straps passed thru window opening should work. Another way buy some food snacks and drinks have some friends over for hanging of doors party if your friends are old ask extras the more the better time you will all have

Posted on: 2014/8/11 12:56
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The suggestion to use some of "your buddies" is the approach that I've been using on my 1932 901. There are several major drawbacks 1) a little smelly, ) unkempt, 3) drink too much beer and 4) hard to get much work out of.

Since I hesitate to go down to the local "Hire a Back" spots, I'm considering using a different work force pool. So I've been looking for a pool of workers that have qualities like those found Worker Bees.

On second thought maybe I shouldn't - more of my buddies might show up and what I would really see is an increase in the 4 downside traits mentioned above.

So I recommend using some of your friends.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 9:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved