Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 400 headliner repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
How hard is it to fix a 55 400 headliner that is drooping in some places but is in very good condition? I guess I'm asking how to tighten it up back to normal?

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/8/12 7:58
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 400 headliner repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The cotton fabric that holds the headliner to the supporting bows has given way. The only nice way to do it is remove the whole thing, have new listings sewn in at every seam, and then put it back. I give you less than 50 % chance of success unless the vinyl is still very good.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 8:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if you do manage to get it down, repaired and back up without damage, chances of it going back in place at exactly the same location is slim. Unless the new listings are made slightly deeper so the headliner will tuck up into the side retainers just a tiny bit more there is a good possibility you will have a strip or area of unfaded headliner showing.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 10:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Im sure the 400 is the same as the 55 clipper. The headliner is attached on the sides by metal retainers with stamped "teeth" pointed up on the inside of the rail so the headliner sides may be stretched and tucked up behind to hook and cover the retainers. Also it is glued frt and back to the windshield frames before the glass and seals and garnish trim are installed. I do not think you will be able to remove it without destroying it and it is usually done as part of a full resto. Having said that, it can be done , with great difficulty and effort without a full resto and paint. I recommend you remove the windlace and buy new,remove all the metal side retainers and bows to sand and paint and remove theold tar board sound deadener and apply new or you will have bleed or staining of the new liner. you need to measure and draw on paper the spaces between the bows from the windshield all the way to the back. I can give you a vendor who will custom sew a liner from your measurements in any style fabric however as a first time I would recommend the cloth as it will stretch and give much better results. You need to be a pro with a steamer to get the perf vinyl and some other fabrics to be wrinkle free. It is one of the most expensive and mysterious jobs of auto resto but can be quite rewarding and transform a car. If you decide to attempt it figure several months (winter project indoors) and the info available here. If you like, I can post pics of mine installed 4 years ago still looks great

Posted on: 2014/8/12 15:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
As a side note, If you watch some pros on tv shows like ovrhaulin and gss monkey garage etc, look closely, you will see cars go out with wrinkled ugly headliner installs or no headliner at all! They should be ashamed and embarrassed to deliver such work.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 15:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Maybe you can use a hooked needle and put some thread through the seam and around the support bars?

Posted on: 2014/8/12 19:57
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
51Packard<

Maybe that would work, worth a try.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 16:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
does it look like this?.

i tried the needle, the tape was to keep that jute, from falling down, its a mess..

i do have a new headliner,,and man, did they go up...

the holes would rip when using the needle..

i also bought material to make one.,,but got pre made..

so be carefull if you go the needle route.....

i sprayed the headliner black,

Attach file:

jpg  (74.91 KB)
4498_53edaa285b2e1.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2014/8/15 1:48
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
it looks like this:

Attach file:

jpg  (30.18 KB)
1497_53edf07bdf2f2.jpg 723X542 px

jpg  (30.63 KB)
1497_53edf0884b9cc.jpg 723X542 px

Posted on: 2014/8/15 6:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If something can be done without removing the headliner, at least that curved area is the place where it would be most possible to get something around the bow. I still don't think the possibility and results will be very promising though.

IIRC, the bows will be an inch or so away from the normal headliner location and have a bit of space between the bow and roof panel in that side area. It might be possible to use a large curved needle to get some strong thread around them. Where the sag is more in the middle, the chances of that kind of repair would be diminished. The bows almost touch the roof panel in the flat areas and chances are good the asphalt felt padding has come unglued from the roof panel and is resting on the bows.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 8:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved