Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Patrician engine number
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ks114
See User information
Good Morning!
I was under the hood of my Packard, and decided to find the numbers.
I hope someone can make sense of them.
N335526 CAL
?
Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2014/8/12 10:51
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Patrician engine number
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's not a number assigned by Packard; probably some sort of alternative vehicle number assigned by California.

Your 55 engine should have two numbers; one on the front just behind the water pump on the flat that also has the oil filler tube and it should match the vehicle number on your door jamb. The other is rather difficult to see but is the number assigned by the Packard Utica engine plant and is on the passenger side, far at the rear, just below the cylinder head. Four digits preceeded by a letter.

There are photos on this site showing the location of these numbers, I'm sure someone will lead you to them.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 11:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As O_D said, there is strong suspicion that is a service engine and the number was assigned -- but it appears there is no documentation anyone has found yet to back that theory up.

Calif was one of the states that registered by motor number. When an engine had to change, the motor number was no longer present so the speculation is Calif DMV had rules on how replacement engines were numbered and vehicles re-registered.

I will say that is the first V8 engine I recall in that situation. Several examples of inline engines with the N xxxxx CAL designation but vehicle and engine numbers were different on those cars. The fact that a V8 with the completely different factory numbering system where the engine was the same as the vehicle number now has a N xxx designation lends a lot more credence to the theory.

It would be interesting to know if the car was originally from Calif and what years it might have been here.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 11:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
In addition to what has already been said, behind the distributor on the block is a cast block number and date.

If you can get the Utica number and the cast numbers and date it would be interesting to see them.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 11:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved