Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 163

RCJ56, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing 37 Packard 115 C Front Clip
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I am replacing the engine in my 37 Packard 115 C Club Sedan with a fresh engine and transmission. I have limited space for storage and I know many remove it in one piece but I am thinking about removing the fenders and grill area as separate panels so I can check the seams for paint condition and just performing a general clean up and I think it would be easier to store during power train replacement. Any comments or suggestions from the Packard community would be greatly appreciated. What are your thoughts ??

Posted on: 2014/8/12 15:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing 37 Packard 115 C Front Clip
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have never removed a front clip, but I think you will like the ease and accessibility once it is off. Problem is finding storage space for that big hunk of sheet metal. This will make servicing the radiator easier, and of course the infamous center crank bearing. Let us know how this goes and post some photos if you get a chance.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/12 16:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
oh yes, the center crank bearing will be replaced during the engine swap, along with a new radiator. Thank you

Posted on: 2014/8/12 17:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I've done it both ways with my '41 120, which is a little different to your '37 115 C, but recommend the whole clip off as the better way to go. Of course you'll need some muscle, 4 guys one at each corner, to get it on and off. As you say, storage is the big issue but you also need to store the fenders and the grill surround which are large pieces in themselves. Have also helped taking off and putting back the front clips of a '39 120 and a '40 110 which are more similar to your car and, as I said, it's the way to go if you can.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 18:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you for your reply

Posted on: 2014/8/12 18:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I did the whole front clip in one piece- two guys to lift on and off.

Whole or in pieces in my eyes depends on your long term goals for the car- the more you take apart, the more likely you are to cause or find problems. If you're just doing a quick engine swap and not planning on body work, my money is all in one piece. Unbolt at the firewall, running boards, and from the radiator mount and fender brackets and you're done. Also, they don't take up too much room if you can stand the whole clip on end on an old blanket or something.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the old motor? I may be looking for one- please PM me if you're planning on selling it or scrapping it. Are you putting in a different Packard motor, or resto-rodding? Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 21:25
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi Ken P.
I believe I will follow the advice to remove entire clip. Storage issue is the only reason I was going to separate the fenders and grill area. The reason I 'm replacing the engine is It had a couple of bad valves and I was not able to resurface the seats due to someone had bored too deep thus the seat was inserted to low in the block, basically poor machine work. I made the decision to install a rebuilt engine and transmission that is ready to go ( original Packard 6) power train. I would never modify my 37, I love Packards and any collector car as they were originally built. I hate to see a Packard street rodded. as far as the engine that I'm removing I plan to rebuild the engine after it receives correct machining . Thank you for replying to my post.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 5:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Corsa 7,
RE; front end wiring You should find 6 or so ( bullet type) connectors near the left front shock absorber, if it's wired as factory.

The front clip has 12 bolts running board & cowl to the fenders, 2 bolts ( in frame) for lower fender brace, 1 big nut, washer and rubber mounting pad at center of front crossmember, 2 brace rods at the radiator. The upper fender braces stay with clip, the lower do better being removed 4 small bolts at bottom edge of fender aft of tire.
Be careful of radiator core/fan clearance.

Get four people and remove.

Hope this helps I was working on a 1937 "120" , they should be very similar.

Both Ozstatman & Ken P are right IMO it's easier to pull the whole clip.
Packard 385

Posted on: 2014/8/16 0:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you Packard 385, it can be a little daunting when you are trying to be so careful to not mess anything up when taking a car apart that you are not familiar with. It would be nice if someone would write a book or booklet describing techniques on subjects like this for example and others that are not covered in books. Maybe call it Packard Basics. If it wasn't for this forum I would be in deep trouble. I can't Thank everyone enough for all of the help that I have received.since I began the steps to replace my engine. What a great resource this forum is ! Thank you

Posted on: 2014/8/16 4:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved