Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

37 Packard 6 & 38 Packard 6 Engine Comparison
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi Everyone,
I have a 1938 Packard power train that is newly rebuilt that I would like to use in my 37 115 C. I hate to deviate from the original power train but I want to drive the car ( I drive it almost every week)and later rebuild the 37 engine. My question is what do I need to do to install the 38 engine, do I need to alter anything ?? Thank you for any advice.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 8:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 Packard 6 & 38 Packard 6 Engine Comparison
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 1938 six cylinder engine will bolt right in to your 115C.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
No direct experience doing this type of engine swap, but it should be an easy swap. Probably a direct bolt in conversion. The '38 engine is an improved version of the first year 6-cylinder. It has more displacement 245 v 237, better oiling, and an improved sealed bearing water pump. Basically, this engine was used through to the end of 6-cylinder Packards. Later it used by White trucks in some of their models. A marine version of this engine was also built and marketed by Packard. Someone with more knowledge than I will should be by shortly with their advice.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/15 10:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you very much for your reply BDeB and JW !!!!I appreciate your help.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 13:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
Your only thing that you will have to do, is make a adapter as the water pump outlet is larger than the lower radiator connection. I used a flex hose for a Rambler(American Motors),as it had both sizes and was the correct length. I hate flex hoses as they always seem to brake(but mine never did)in 10 or fifteen years. A better option is a rubber adapter ring, that most good radiator shops should be able to supply. Use your 1937 upper hose outlet(thermostat housing)for the size to math your radiator upper hose connection. You have to use the 1938 fan to fit the 1938 water pump(check the blade length with the 1937 as later ones were longer.
Every thing else is a bolt on.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 18:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved