Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 65

Packardbarry, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

how to remove the chrome trim on a 39 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I plan on painting the 120 this winter, and will be starting on the body work after the summer is over. Question - on the side trim on the hood, it looks like they are riveted on, and can be removed by drilling them out. Is this correct? And if it is, what is the best way to reattach it later? Small bolts or rivets?

Next question - what is the technique for removing the front radiator grille? This looks like a lot of fun, especially with the thermostatically controlled louvers. I'm arguing with myself over removal versus masking.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/8/15 19:59
 Top  Print   

Re: how to remove the chrome trim on a 39 120
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dennis Nielsen
See User information
Hello David, I assume that the beading on a '39 is similar to that on a '38. I have done a bare metal re-paint of my '38, so all the bright-work came off.Whilst it is perhaps less work to mask the beading, to remove them is simple. It is also simple to replace with small bolts and nuts.
The grill is another kettle of fish. The only way I can imagine removing this is to take off the entire front shell, which entails its own problems. But perhaps if you go this far then it only remains to remove the mudguards[fenders] and the whole painting exercise is straight forward.
Good Luck.
Dennis Nielsen. South Africa.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 2:32
 Top  Print   

Re: how to remove the chrome trim on a 39 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks Dennis - I suspect the right answer for me is to tape off the radiator grille. This is going to be a nice driver paint job, not a 100 pointer for Pebble Beach.

Posted on: 2014/8/31 18:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved