Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

39 speedometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Took the 39 out for a drive Saturday. Nice warm day, so drove about 30 miles. The speedometer cable chattered the whole way, but the needle never moved. Coming back that afternoon when the temp was up to 89 degrees, the needle started moving slowly up to 18 mph (I was doing about 45 to 50mph) and the trip odometer started spinning rapidly, indication we were doing about 80 or 100mph. Got home and shut the car off - speedometer still reads 18, as it did this morning when I drove it to church. The cable spins easily with the speedometer disconnected.

My first thought is to remove the head and clean it up, removing any old grease or crud, then oiling it with neatsfoot oil or clock oil and testing it. Any other suggestions?

Posted on: 2014/8/17 20:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 39 speedometer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Save the neatsfoot oil for leather treatment and keep it away from anything else.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 21:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The grease will probably be hard as a rock -- at least my 47 was. Use light oil such as 3 in 1 that has a little body. Clock oil may be too watery. The odometer drive is both worm screws and a gear train so fairly robust. Light grease on the worms and light oil on the bearings. The shafts are both bushed in places and just supported by clips in places.

The input bushing where cable connects and which supports the magnet needs a good lube. That is a frequent place that seizes. There should also be an external oil hole exposed on one side of the housing where the cable screws on. That has a felt that should get a drop or two of oil. The cup end and the shaft to needle and it's front support are the places that need a delicate touch.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 21:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks for the advice guys - this will help on the next project in a long list!

Posted on: 2014/8/17 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
David, I back HH's recommendation 100%. I've done this to my own 39 and friends cars and each has been working well for many years.

While you are at it, you may wish to lube the cable also. The rotating cable can pulled out through the upper end to be cleaned, lubed and reinserted.

By the way, the speedometer is relatively easy to remove. 4 nuts (3/8", I think); two on each side of the speedometer. Loosen two on one side (left or right) and remove the two on the other. You can then tilt the speedometer on the loose nuts and slide it out. When it comes time to put it back in, you reverse the process.

PM

Posted on: 2014/8/19 20:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
While you are at it, you may wish to lube the cable also. The rotating cable can pulled out through the upper end to be cleaned, lubed and reinserted.

Yes, a wise thing to do. Folks use all kinds of different lubricants on speedo cables from white lithium grease to gear oil, I've always used white Lubriplate. But whatever you use, do NOT lubricate the last 1 or 2 inches at the top as the grease or other lube can work its way into the speedometer which you don't want.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 22:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved