Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 171

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Remote brake fill kits
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the BTV kits are all new rubber but not sure of the quality or how many companies are actually making the kits. All the vendors -- Packard, Chevy, Buick, etc sell them but do they all buy from the same mfg. If all from the same place, then there would appear to be a serious quality problem. There is a post on site I believe from Fred Kanter, showing a compensator valve that was removed from a unit with problems. That compensator valve had virtually no rubber on the sealing surface compared to a valve that was mfg'd properly.

I'm not sure what is now being shipped in the way of cover gaskets with new rebuild kits. For a long time the gasket designed for the bubble channel covers that completely blocked the port when used with flat covers were what was sent. I understand from second hand info Kanter has addressed the problem but not sure how.

The hole in the lid might be an idea if the flat cover is used with the port blocking gasket. Not sure if it would be beneficial if the revised flat cover gasket was used which opens the port or on the bubble covers. The fluid could still bypass the visual indication or splashed fluid from the reservoir could still get in the port in both those situations.

This remote kit cap has a tube which extends down into the fluid slightly. There is no atmospheric connection at that level so logically it would seem there would be a slight amount of air trapped in the reservoir -- If the lid and gasket made a good seal and there was no conscious efforts to remove it all. The air should be trapped in the space above the bottom of lid and level of the supply tube without some external force to drive it into position where it could find a way up the supply tube and out. If the vacuum seal leaked, I expect the air would be removed before too long though.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.02 KB)
209_53f3c1ec0867f.jpg 640X422 px

Posted on: 2014/8/19 16:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Yes well when I suggested the "sight tube I was referencing use of the flat cover and the gasket with the full circle closing the port from splash and fluid in the resevoir. As for the remote fill, if used with the above mod a more modern style fill with sealed master and vented gravity fill as used with "hot rod" style billet masters would be more appropriate.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 20:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if that remote cap is aftermarket or for the Packard remote kit. I haven't seen the cap end of the Packard unit. The rest of this kit was missing and only the cap was left in a BTV. All I know for sure is it came off a Packard parts car.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 20:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2014/8/19 21:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From post 9 above;
"....parts being used
in these locations as a tear or failure here
will result in instant pedal to floor no
brakes with no amount of pumping to
facilitate any pedal pressure whatsoever."

Yeah. Give that some thot. And how that mite compare to a similar failure of more conventional master cylinder designs.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 21:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post 9 above:
" Since
the compensator is held "cocked" off its
seat all the time the pedal is up, would it
be smart to replace this every 5 years."

Pedal UP:
That was conjectured a few years ago assuming that part of the rubber seal of the compensator port was in contact with the seat and thus causing some deformation of the rubber seal. Based on my research bench testing on a unit there is NO PART of the rubber seal that contacts ANYTHING other than air or fluid.

And every 5 years we have to pull somekind of maintenance on the BTV???

Posted on: 2014/8/19 21:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I response to PackardV8 post , I have stated before, I have had multiple "pedal to floor" failures on late model vehicles (1984 and up) that were not supposed to be able to happen. Ican give details another time. As for your last post, I am not sure I follow. Can you elaborate?

Posted on: 2014/8/19 22:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Factory install instructions,

Attach file:

jpg  (43.72 KB)
1220_53f41179abc55.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (64.38 KB)
1220_53f4118f84b7b.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (58.68 KB)
1220_53f411a3ea327.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (56.25 KB)
1220_53f411b5999e1.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2014/8/19 22:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Even if the cocked seal is sitting on an area which is not in contact with the seat with the compensator in the sealed position there are other issues which may be lessened by long term store in the seated pos. Ie keeping seat clean,corrosion free, dirt free, and keeping the rubber from taking an egg shape even though the area being "flattened" is not in direct contact with the seat surface.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 22:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks for that info Let the ride decide! Looks as if it is made for use on btv and manual. The connections and fittings do not look like the pic of the cap pictured in the earlier post however.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 22:28
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved