Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Oil Pressure line for 1937
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hello, My previous post I was asking about the oil pressure line on my 37. I did not receive any replies so my question is if the line breaks at the engine block is it repairable with a compression fitting or is there a better method of repair. Thanks

Posted on: 2014/8/20 20:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Pressure line for 1937
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know what 37 used. Does the line appear to be ordinary 1/8" copper line with a nut and regular fitting at each end or is it permanently fixed or soldered at the gauge end like the temp gauge line? If it is a removable then if it does break, universal replacements are available. McMaster-Carr also sells various 1/8" fittings.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.71 KB)
209_53f5589a8d2bb.jpg 304X420 px

Posted on: 2014/8/20 21:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you for your reply HH56 I'm not sure how it is attached to the instrument gauge. I am going to attempt (that is if it breaks) to repair at the block since there is enough of a coil that I can add an inch to adapt to the block. I wonder if anyone has attempted this. Thank you for the photo also, much appreciated !!!

Posted on: 2014/8/20 21:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My 115C has the oil pressure gauge tubing connected to one of the main bearing ports on the RH side of the engine. I believe it is the port for the rear main bearing. It is not at home right now so this is all from memory.

The tubing is 1/8" copper and has a coil or two on the engine end. The fitting from the tubing end is an inverted flare nut and a 1/8" NPT for the engine side.

Two wrenches are necessary to remove the tubing: one wrench on the nut that screws into the fitting and one on the engine block fitting. A pair of fitting wrenches are the best tools to use as they will grab the fittings on three sides instead of the two sides by an open end wrench. Once you break the nut loose from the fitting it should unscrew easily.

I do not know how the tubing is connected to the instrument panel gauge, but believe Howard gave you the right description.

I hope this helps.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/20 22:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you JW. The fitting is loose but it doesn't appear to rotate around the line, it wants to rotate the line as I turn the nut leading me to believe that it will twist ,collapse or end ip breaking the line, I 'm just trying to avoid this. At this point I will just have to take my chances and hope for the best. Thank you again for your reply.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 6:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Not sure which fitting you are talking about. Is it the one going into the engine or the nut on the tubing? If it is the one going into the engine, then you will need to loosen the nut on the tubing using two wrenches.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/21 9:45
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
its the nut on the tubing itself

Posted on: 2014/8/21 15:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Never run into this problem before, but that said these old Packards will surprise us from time to time. If that is the case then I would just cut off the tubing with a tubing cutter close to the nut and fitting. You can then flare the line and use new fittings when you are assembling the engine back in the car. Do you have a photo of the problem area?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/21 17:43
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The oil line connection to the engine block has a special fitting on the end that would be worth preserving. I'm not sure how it is connected to the tubing, but probably soldered or brazed.

Here is a picture of what it looks like

Attach file:

jpg  (66.05 KB)
1137_53f69f6023dfe.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/8/21 20:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi JW,
After 3 days of soaking in PB Blaster it can finally came loose. Thank you for your help.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 7:35
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved