Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Oil Pressure line for 1937
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
BDeB,

I finally got it removed. I appreciate your help.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 7:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Corsaseven wrote:
Hi JW,
After 3 days of soaking in PB Blaster it can finally came loose. Thank you for your help.

You are welcome. The fitting in the photo BDeB posted is one I have never seen. His advice to try and save this connection was a good one, and I am pleased you followed his advice.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/22 9:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The fitting in the photo BDeB posted is one I have never seen

I don't recall seeing it either but have not been around the early cars that much..Question might be if it was a standard fitting of the time or something exclusive to Packard. If exclusive, wonder what the advantage was. Did they have the regular compression and flare fittings back then that we have today?

Since there is a difference in the two cars, perhaps the previous owner of JW's car was not as careful in removal so the reason for the difference.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 9:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I will be visiting the '37 next week and will take a careful look at the oil pressure gauge connection on the engine. Like I said in the beginning, my comments were from memory. We all know how our memory gets better and better as time passes. I'll post a photo too.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/22 9:51
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The fitting in the photo BDeB posted is one I have never seen

Same fitting as used on my 34 and I believe rather commonly used on Packard during the 30s and earlier for this application.

Did they have the regular compression and flare fittings back then that we have today?

Certainly they had conventional inverted flare fittings in that era, they are used on the gasoline, vacuum and oil filter lines and why they didn't use an inverted flare on the oil pressure gauge line is unknown to me. Compression gland fittings were in use at that time, used (up thru 1936) on the Bijur lubricator connections. Relative to engine oil pressure, Bijur pressures are almost nil.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 10:04
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40clubcoupe
See User information
My 40 has this same oil fitting but my line looks much smaller in diameter than the picture posted, maybe 3/32" or even 1/16". My line is ruptured below the curly pigstail and about 2" before the special fitting going into the block adapter.
Can I torch the special fitting off, cut the line back to good metal, and resolder the fitting back on?
Is this plumbing solder or ox-acet brazing?

The adapter that screws in the block and mates with the oil line fitting looks to be a standard NPT fitting, so I would have thought a compression fitting would work here. But I am confused.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 9:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The holes that access the gallery for the main bearings, where the oil pressure gauge line fits, are tapped the conventional 1/8" NPT.

Apologize for not following-up on my posting from 2014 to look at the connection and fittings and post a photo.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/7/26 13:07
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The oil line is very thin/small and you would not be able to put a double flare on it. A thicker line would take a double flare like a brake line but it would not be flexible enough for the coiled connection.

Packards and all, other cars were designed by brilliant engineers who used much of the latest technology available at the time

Posted on: 2016/7/26 13:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

40clubcoupe wrote:
...Can I torch the special fitting off, cut the line back to good metal, and resolder the fitting back on?
Is this plumbing solder or ox-acet brazing?...

This is a repair I would attempt. The copper tubing probably broke because it became hard from flexing for all these years. You might think about annealing as much of the exposed tubing as practical. It is plumbing soldering.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/7/26 15:12
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
A hint about soldering it back on - make sure that you clean the parts up in the area to be soldered and de-grease them. Then sand lightly (I use a fine emery cloth) to get a bright fresh metal surface then solder.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 17:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved