Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1932 901 - Door latches and windows
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm getting ready to do some work on the doors on my '32 901. The latch mechanisms need to be re-chromed. I'm thinking about un-riveting them so the main body and the striker can be chrome plated.

I have several questions; 1) is this the best approach and 2) if so are replacement rivets commercially available.

Also, I don't have any of the original glass run channels so I'm not sure what style/size/part number I should buy. So a supplier and part number would be greatly appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.94 KB)
1063_53f60ec6615f7.jpg 1280X932 px

Posted on: 2014/8/21 10:23
 Top  Print 

Re: 1932 901 - Door latches and windows
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't help with your questions, except to say that rivets are commercially available in just about every size and style you ever think of though you may have to buy a box of 50 or 100. Try MSC and McMaster for an idea of what's commonly available. And if you can't find them, easy enough to make if you have a lathe, or have a shop make them.

But are you sure the latches were chromium-plated? The ones on my 34 are pretty well aged but the plating sure looks like nickel. I have a pair of 35 Eight latches and they sure look like nickel as well. Are the latches made by English & Mersick, New Haven CT?

Posted on: 2014/8/21 10:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The patina on the latch I looked at is so good that I can't really tell if it is chrome or nickel. They are English & Mersic. So if yours are nickel I'm sure that so are mine too. So nickel they'll be.

Thanks for the heads up on the rivets as I don't want to take the time to turn them.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 12:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if McMaster or MSC doesn't have the rivets you need, here is another placehttp://bigflatsrivet.com

Posted on: 2014/8/21 12:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved