Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1935 - 1937 senior Packard fender lights
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Can someone provide a factory photo, period photo, or factory literature showing a set of those small fender lights you see on most of the restored 1935 - 37 senior Packards actually on a car? It seems to me none of these cars ever had them when they left the factory, but they all do now when restored. Personally, I don't like them at all as I think they (along with Trippe lights) ruin the clean lines of the front of the car.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 8:59
 Top  Print 

Re: 1935 - 1937 senior Packard fender lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This question has come up before, forget whether here or on The Packard Club forum, and some pictures were posted. At least with respect to 1937/38, the fender lights do show on the factory wiring diagram as "special equipment" so I suspect some cars did leave the factory with them. Just looked at the 35/36 Super Eight and Twelve A.E.A. wiring diagrams and they also appear there.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 9:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

Posted on: 2014/8/23 9:34
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
BUT, is that wiring you refer to actually for the accessory Packard Fog King fog lights though? I'm still looking for a pre 1940 picture of a car showing the fender lights. It seems no such photo exists. Do the fender lights appear in the 1935-37 accessory list? I have always wondered if they were an invention by the company that reproduces them now.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 10:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Here's a copy of the Packard accessories catalog that Mal sent me earlier this year.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.24 KB)
5061_53f8ad21ed912.jpg 640X466 px

jpg  (32.00 KB)
5061_53f8b1a81a084.jpg 640X500 px

Posted on: 2014/8/23 10:03
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Well OK, I guess I'm wrong then. It just seems funny you never see an original pair anywhere or any old photos of cars with them on. I've seen lots of photos of Packards at meets back in the 1950, 60's, 70's and they were never on cars back then. It wasn't until the one accessory reproducer started making them in the 1980's that you see them all the time now.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 10:32
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
One other comment I"ll make is on the 1937 Packard Twelve, they already had 4 beams of headlights. Park (these were the factory parking lights), City, Country, and High Beam. So I guess the fender lights would be wired in to come on with the Park setting of the headlights then.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 10:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Also, many times the fender mounted lights have been added when turn signals were installed in the pre-1940 junior cars.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/23 11:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another indication in addition to the wiring diagram that fender lights were available is that fender lamp bulbs, # and candlepower, are listed in the bulb chart in the shop manual.

I don't know how they handled the two different parking light or fender lamp possibilities with regard to the main headlamp but in 1933/34 if you had fender lamps the headlight reflectors only had a single bulb (the headlamp bulb). If you didn't have fender lights you got a different headlamp which additionally contained a low candlepower parking lamp bulb.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 17:51
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved