Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Vin, Serial number and body number location
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
Where have the vin, serial or body numbers been located? I've heard there was a theft proof location also. Any help is appreciated.
Bryan

Posted on: 2014/8/24 11:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Vin, Serial number and body number location
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Hi Bryan,
You will get a swift answer here but it would be helpful to know what year Packard you are asking about. The locations varied.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 11:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
Hello and thanks. It is a 1949 super 8. I see the plate located on the cowl under the hood, drivers side and a small plate above the heater core. I've heard that there is a theft proof location, but I'm not sure it applies to this year.
Bryan

Posted on: 2014/8/24 11:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The number on the plate on the cowl just forward of the driver's windshield (the "patent plate") contains the vehicle number (VN, not VIN). The first part of the number defines the car's year, model, and body style. The second part is the sequential production number which started at 2001. A 1949 Packard can be either a 22nd series or a 23rd series so you need to know which you have. Some 1949 22nd series cars were renumbered left-over 1948 models and the VN also will reveal that.

The small plate above the heater box is the Briggs tag, Briggs built the bodies. The number there should be reasonably close to the VN but rarely identical.

Theft-proof numbers began in 1929 and were used thru 1956. Pretty hard to miss, a very large embossed 6-digit number on the firewall with brackets at each end.

I'd appreciate knowing, either publicly or privately via s PM, the vehicle number and theft-proof numbers as I've been analyzing these for some years.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
While you are investigating your Super Eight, feel around on top of the outside of the glove box. If you are very, very lucky the original build slip may still be there. If it is, it is probably taped on the two outside edges. Be careful when removing it! It will be extremely brittle and delicate. If it's still there you will know exactly how your car was equipped when it left the factory.

Also check towards the bottom of the gas tank fill tube. You may find a small, folded square of paper wedged between the fill tube and the vent tube. It contains much the same information but may not be legible even when carefully unfolded.

P.S. The 1949 22nd Series and 23rd Series Super Eight had significant differences, so it would be interesting to know which you have.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 11:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
Hello and thank for the info. I had checked the info you provided, but was trying to confirm. I will get the info and pass it along. The tag on the cowl has the correct VN other than somehow a capital (I) was used in place of a (1) and is causing havoc at DMV.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 12:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "I' is not an error, in the font that Packard used for the vehicle numbers, the numeral "1" took the form of an "I". The attachment is from the Packard Bold type font they used for their advertisements, etc.; although the numerals are not quite the same as used for the patent plates it clearly shows the digit "1" and an "I".

Attach file:

jpg  (28.70 KB)
177_53fa24db1a093.jpg 1280X672 px

Posted on: 2014/8/24 12:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
Hello again. I found what I expect is the build slip on top of the box, got it in one piece, have scanned it into the computer and made a copy for my Packard records. Thanks much.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 13:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
Great, now all I have to do is get the DMV to buy into that explanation. I have documents from this vehicle back to the sales paper, so maybe I can use all of it to get this handled. You all are, or can be life savers for Packard info. Thanks
Bryan

Posted on: 2014/8/24 13:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Brian, Take this to the BMV if they have any questions.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/PackardIDNumbers.pdf

Posted on: 2014/8/24 20:32
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved