Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 83

Packard Don, Todd W. White, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Vin, Serial number and body number location
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
The reason the "1" looks like an "I" is because old typewriters did have a "1" because they were suppose to use "I" for the number one.
Wes

Posted on: 2014/8/24 23:52
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
Thanks much for the link, this should help once printed out.
Bryan

Posted on: 2014/8/25 22:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
Owen, one of the numbers you were looking for.
Briggs: 2272-16732
Bryan

Posted on: 2014/8/26 8:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I have said this before on other threads, but I think it bears repeating again: I have worked in a couple of large car collections in my career, and the cars with the most jacked up numbers (as they arrive at your door) are Packards. I have seen cars titled under their Anti-theft number, their Briggs Body number (which isn't so bad if it is the same as the car VN) the engine serial number or any other number that was handy. I know of a Rollston 12 Town car that had a special Commonwealth of PA assigned number tag because they apparently didn't like any of the other options. A car gets to be 70-80 years old, is sold and re-titled a number of times and lots of fun can ensue.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Quote:

excerpt: the cars with the most jacked up numbers (as they arrive at your door) are Packards.

Here is an Auctions America Clipper
http://auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF14&ID=r0066&Order=runorder&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=

Super Clipper with a Custom Super Briggs tag

Posted on: 2014/8/26 9:46
Dan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard numbers are strange for sure. My 47 is one of those registered by thief proof number because the car was out of the system and had to be inspected to get reregistered. That was the number the examiner used because it was the only permanent number on the car.

On the auction car, a few other things are wrong. The listing calls it a 47 but the speedo and clock look to be 42 instruments. Is the auction photo bad or am I hallucinating. The car seems to have a gray background and large bold numerals instead of the 2103-06's smaller letters on the brown background.

The engine compt has had a few changes also. Would like to see how they did the AC compressor mount. The belt drive appears really changed to take care of that and a relocated alternator.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.81 KB)
209_53fca35264b0c.jpg 333X257 px

jpg  (16.28 KB)
209_53fca4bc1b325.jpg 272X199 px

Posted on: 2014/8/26 10:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The interior looks like that of a Custom, not a Super. No photo of the headliner, so can't tell for sure. Also, the wheel covers are those of a Super, but in spite of the mismatched parts, I think it is a Custom.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/26 10:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Be interesting to see what it goes for. The estimate seems a bit high for a non stock car but what do I know. Wonder what they mean by non conforming VIN -- maybe another of the TPN registered cars like mine.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 10:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
Owen,
The last number (theft) you were looking for is: 870489
Bryan

Posted on: 2014/8/26 11:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Bryan. Those #s would be more useful if I also had the vehicle number from the patent plate - did you give that and I just missed it or is the plate missing?

Dave

Posted on: 2014/8/26 12:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved