Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 to 1954 Shop Manual
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Recently I bought what was supposed to be an original 1951-1954 Shop Manual and it is indeed original but it has none of the 1954 supplements or updates. Can anyone supply 300dpi PDFs of these items, whatever they are? The only reason I specified the quality is that is what I used to scan my own but anything else would most certainly be welcome as long as it is from an original and not from a copy.

Also, can anyone supply a good scan of both sides of the 24th series Body Torque Specifications page? Mine was quite tattered and the only page in poor condition because it had become detached and was hanging out where it got much wear and tear on the outside edge. The page numbers are 15 and 16, if that helps.

Once it's all together, I would be happy to share the whole thing with this site and ultimately I want to OCR and lay it all out in a desktop publisher for clearer, crisper printing and I have software that should make it relatively easy.

Thank you,
Don

Posted on: 2014/8/25 13:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 to 1954 Shop Manual
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wish I could help but don't have an original 51-4 SM to scan. Am curious how the 54 supplements or updates are identified and what they might have been about though. I have one of the reprint manuals and other than updated specifications thru 54, the only thing I readily found that specifically stated it was a supplement was for 25th series Ultramatic changes.

Until someone comes thru with a high res scan, the body torque specs you ask for are available in the manual on site which is available for download -- although the resolution may not be as high as you would like, it might work until something better comes along.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5154/Specifications_XXI.pdf

Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you for the reply. The manual was published for the 1951 models, then updated each year. My manual has the '53 updates which were done by either replacement sections or by addendum to the sections. For example, it has a replacement for the brake section that includes the Easamatic and it has addendums for the A/C, the '52 and '53 specifications. 1954 needs at least the Gearstart addendum to the Ultramatic section and I don't know what else - possibly the Easamatic and power steering had changes too after its first year. As you say, it would also have the updated specifications for 1954 which mine does not have and it would have details specific to the 359cid engine. With the addendums or changed sections, I would also need the associated index pages. I can probably piece it together from the scans online but their quality is so poor that I am unsure if I can restore them or not.

The Service Manager where my manual was used left both old and new in it including the tabbed indexes so it was a little difficult to get it sorted out but there is an oddity that maybe you or someone else can answer. Section II has the A/C information but apparently the original Section II contained "Preliminary Information" and was quite a large section as the index goes up to page 50. Do you have any idea what that section contained that wasn't in the specific sections in the rest of the manual? Was it left in the manual but with a new index page that didn't have a section number - just "Preliminary Information" that preceded the rest?

On the damaged page, thank you for the link. I knew that manual had to be there somewhere but couldn't locate it and it does indeed have the 15-16 pages in the 24th Series specifications. I had inadvertently indicated that it was 25th or 26th that I needed but it was actually 24th. I did not compare the 25th section to see if it was the same or not but maybe it is close enough to use for a restoration of the damaged edge! Even with the damage, mine is in far better condition than the scan on the site so again, I would be happy to share a copy.

I also have most postwar Service Counselors (especially '51 to '56) so if you are missing any, please let me know and I'll scan them and if you need anything else scanned, I am happy to help as my scanner can handle just over the U.S. Leger size of 11" X 17".

Posted on: 2014/8/25 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I just noticed that my Management section, Section I, has only the index tab sheet. Since there is text on the tab, I thought that is all there was but apparently it was part of an actual entire section so I could use scans of an original of that too.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I have an original 1951-54 manual with updates to 1954 but the only thing specific to 1954 are the specifications for the 54th Series. Gear start Ultramatic was covered by a separate booklet that can be found on the PackardInfo site.

Section I in my copy is blank except for a General Service Bulletin, 52GS-5, that was issued in April of 1952 and served as a cover sheet for revisions to Ultramatic drive, 25th Series specifications and Easamatic power brakes.

Section II was originally for Preliminary Information and included a copy of the Serviceman's Training Book "Know the 24th Series Packard'. It was replaced later on with Air Conditioning.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 1:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you for the information and it rather confirms what I suspected about Sections I and II. After my original post, I finally found the PDFs of the manual that are online and they do have 25 pages under Section I Management that seem to do with many aspects of business, such as Advertising, Personal Telephone Calls and dealing with Customers but nothing critical to do with repairs or anything really useful. Even so, having those would be nice but unfortunately they are quite poor and would not match my other scans even remotely, especially the photos so I'll have to keep watch for better copies.

So the engine section has nothing about the maintenance of the new aluminum head or other details of the new 359 engine? That's interesting and quite surprising!

As for the 1954 Specifications and index page for the section, would it be possible to get good scans? If so and if it's not too much trouble, may I ask for specifics? That is, can it be done in color at a fairly high resolution? Color is best even though the bulk of it is B/W and either PDF or images are fine or in any format that is easiest for you. I can fix any skew they may have. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 2:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved