Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 125

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: REAR WHEEL BEARING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I took it down, I read it this morning and I thought it could come across wrong and didn't want to do that.

Posted on: 2014/8/30 14:34
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I saw nothing wrong with it, but you're the judge of what you post.

Posted on: 2014/8/30 18:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I was able to order two rear axle bearings BCA 88128R from
"Locate Ball Bearings" at a reasonable price. These are for a senior 1956 Packard Dana rear end.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 72.06 KB; Hits: 50

Posted on: 2014/9/3 17:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Forgot to add "made in Germany"

Posted on: 2014/9/3 18:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
ACOlds brother Joe checked out my drum on his brake lathe.
It is warped too much to try and save it. It is scrap.
Luckily I had purchased two drums from Magic Mike in Minnesota. I shipped them to NJ when I sent down the rear shoes to be tru-arced. The shoes and drums should be back soon.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 19:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The man from NJ called and will be shipping my drums and brake shoes tomorrow.
I never did explain what happened that I needed brake shoes and a drum and decided to replace the bearing as a precaution.
Coming back on the Ohio pike from Summit racing I got a flat on the right rear tire. I had to pull off the side of the road and when I went back to check, the tire was smoking hot as were the lug nuts. The wire wheel was also very hot. The lug nuts were removed wearing gloves and I mounted the spare but discovered I had no brakes. I got flat-bedded home 67 miles into Pa from the Ohio pike. After getting off the flatbed I discovered I had no emergency brake. After a minor accident with a neighbors fence, I managed to pull the car into the garage with no brakes. The following day I pulled the wheel and drum. The primary shoe had all the lining worn off and the spring securing it to the anchor pin was lying on the emergency brake strut. It was not broken. Somehow it came off the anchor pin and allowed the primary shoe to ride on the drum. The heat melted the rubber in the wheel cylinder and since the primary shoe was no longer secured to the anchor pin I had neither regular brakes nor emergency brake.
I have to surmise that I did not have the return spring securely mounted on the anchor pin as I have never seen a spring leave the anchor pin. I am having new shoes tru-arced and hope to have Best Other on the road again by the end of the week.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 19:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Randy - Congratulations on getting home with no more complications than you mention. If you had lost all brakes before the tire went flat, it might have been disastrous.

A few years ago we had a shop in Pittsburgh that relined brake shoes and arced them. One day the owner didn't show up. So far as I know, he is still missing so we have no shoe lining facility. Could you share with us your New Jersey craftsman?

Thanks,
Bernardi

Posted on: 2014/9/8 23:03
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved