Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard first to use neon sign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
While watching the show American Pickers, I learned that Packard was the first car company to have a dealership that used a neon sign. Although, it didn't say which specific dealership.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 23:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard first to use neon sign
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
See this thread on the PAC Website.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 3:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Earl C. Anthony. Ain't nobody what don't know that!

Posted on: 2014/8/28 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
That's Earle with an "e" at the end, thank you very much...

Posted on: 2014/8/28 12:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

skateboardgumby wrote:
While watching the show American Pickers, I learned that Packard was the first car company to have a dealership that used a neon sign. Although, it didn't say which specific dealership.

You'll probably want to know about the full story of this sign and Mr. Anthony's pioneering efforts in neon by reading the in-depth article published in The Packard Cormorant magazine only a few issues back.

The Packard Club's magazine usually has all the stuff you hear about later on the internet... or even TV... no matter what those guys are picken'!

Posted on: 2014/8/29 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I'm looking forward to reading the article. I know this may sound pedestrian, but I've learned a lot of interesting historical tidbits watching American Pickers and (gasp) Pawn Stars.

Posted on: 2014/8/30 12:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

skateboardgumby wrote:
I'm looking forward to reading the article. I know this may sound pedestrian, but I've learned a lot of interesting historical tidbits watching American Pickers and (gasp) Pawn Stars.

Remember, however, no matter what they may claim or how they may appear...TV shows are for mostly for entertainment and should never be taken for history books. Like that pickers episode where they bought a "1939" Plymouth (and no, it definitely wasn't).

Posted on: 2014/8/31 2:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
ah, believe me, I take everything I hear on those shows with a health dose of skepticism. Not until I verify what they claim by doing a bit of my own research, do I take it as gospel.

I can't remember right off the bat, but I know for certain that Rick on "Pawn Stars" made a claim about some aspect of history that was off the mark.

So, I do appreciate your warning.

Posted on: 2014/8/31 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Sometimes there just are no places.. or no easy places to do your own research. For instance, in the case of this neon sign, there must be 20 different absurd stories on the internet, in books, magazines and newspapers about when, how much paid, where and how many of the signs there were. You'll quickly find this out.

Having worked on the history of this sign since the early 1970s and after having personally known execs from Earle C. Anthony, Inc. and having collected countless company records, there are still people spreading more absurd stories... and willing to argue until doomsday over anything and everything related to this sign. This may be the most argued and B.S.-d history in the history of history!

Mr. Anthony's own records state that he brought back 3 neon signs (not 2) from France in 1923... and that NONE of them was erected on top of ANY of his dealerships ...and that the very first one was on the corner of 7th and Flower Street in downtown Los Angeles.

Even Georges Claude himself, via Claude Neon (where Mr. Anthony had exclusive marketing rights and even a partial ownership in the U.S. company) clearly stated that Mr. Anthony indeed put up that company's first USA sign in Los Angeles in 1923. But will this fact satisfy today's "historians" in neon? Nahhhh!

When some of these folks see that they are clearly losing, have no point and are missing the target, what do they do? Why, they simply MOVE the target! Can't hit it? Just keep moving the bullseye (or the bull) around until you can! The latest silliness now revolves around attempting to discredit Mr. Anthony and Packard for their pioneering efforts in neon.

One can argue this whole topic into the ground, of course. And make a lot of very bad guesses looking at photos without the proper background knowledge, OR by naively applying the thinking of the 21st century to the 1920s and 1930s in Los Angeles... which is just the wrong approach.

When a relative found out years ago that my family was descended partially from a very famous person in Europe, some silly person promptly jumped on the internet and blurted out that it was impossible this figure could have had any descendants since he had no children with his WIFE!! Wow. Kids born out of wedlock are impossible, huh?

Likewise, one neon person swore it would be impossible for Mr. Anthony to have a neon sign put up in the location where it indeed was- WHEN it was- since "he didn't pull any permits according to the records"...WOW! Brilliant. Only someone who knew nothing about the 1920s or Anthony and everything about arguing would make such a statement!

Mr. Anthony... was a man who could-AND DID-walk around in downtown L.A. carrying a briefcase with $1 MILLION cash. And that was serious money for the 1920s. He was also known for breaking rules-or skirting them. Like when he started the predecessors to Chevron gas stations and by-passed an L.A. city ordinance that said gasoline had to be sold either in a shop or a building... SO? He extended the roofs on his gas stations to cover the pumps-which is why this feature exists to this day! Voila.

OR when they told him he could not keep more than so many gallons of gas on hand to sell? He simply lined up tanker trucks out in the street!

When the City of Los Angeles had officials who balked at bringing the Brooklyn Dodgers to L.A? Anthony had his own KFI radio announcers go live on the air and give out the HOME PHONE numbers of the city officials who were balking at the Dodger move. You couldn't do that today... but GUESS what happened? HINT: they don't call them the Brooklyn Dodgers anymore, folks!

So "pulling a permit" to put up a neon in the 1920s? C'monnnn. (By the way, from what I know, this neon was placed ON an EXISTING billboard sign... it was not a typical skeleton neon stand-alone sign and most likely made any permit-pulling silliness academic... and probably unnecessary).

Powerful men like Earle C. Anthony and Howard Hughes didn't sit around in those days and get stymied by petty rules! It was a different world then ...and a different town. And more often than not, those in charge of running things accommodated these men and their companies.

And yes there were attempts to have neon signage or at least glass tubing that was made to light up in words or characters prior to Mr. Anthony's pioneering move. The Smithsonian has two such early attempts from a large indoor event I believe in St. Louis in the early 1900s. BUT for every obscure attempt such as these, there were hundreds upon hundreds of neon signs put up by Mr. Anthony and his franchise section of Claude Neon company once he got started. Anthony brought neon into permanent outdoor usage as signage and popularized the medium into what became a nationwide phenomenon. Attempting to belittle what Anthony did today is not "history"... it is muckraking and drama for the sake of basal sensationalism.

The internet, TV, books and today's "historians" who were never there and never got into this history until recently would rather look for anything and everything to argue the facts. Do they accept the words of Mr. Anthony and Georges Claude?? Nah! It's easier to just keep muddying the waters with endless arguments, ridiculous pronouncements, endless suppositions and presumptions.

And that photo you'll see all over the internet claiming to be 1923 and the original sign? It shows a small Packard neon mounted on a building that did not exist until 1929! And a position that did not take place until into the 1930s. But we can't let a minor detail like a fact get in the way of wild story-telling, can we?

So when it comes to this Packard neon sign history... welcome to the craziness...

Posted on: 2014/9/2 10:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I once heard that it's not whether something is truthful, but rather is it useful to an individual's purpose. Such seems to be the case regarding the "first neon-sign" issue.

I opt to believe the first-hand-info from Mr. Anthony and Georges Claude.

On the subject of cars, I routinely send emails to historians who incorrectly identify the color of JFK's limo as black. Admittedly, it appears to be black, but in actuality it was a dark metallic blue personally chosen by JFK. The color came to called "Kennedy Blue."

Posted on: 2014/9/3 0:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved