Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive R-9 from 6V to 12V
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Hi you big resource of knowledge. I'm going to convert my 1949 Packard to 12V and the only problem I can see is the solenoid for the overdrive (B/W R-9). I've been reading that the solenoid has to be changed to a 12V solenoid because it's not possible to put a voltage reducer on it. This is as far as I can understand because it's two coils inside it. My question is: Why can't I put one reducer on each coil? The relay is supposed to be OK with 12V...

Attach file:

jpg  (88.78 KB)
801_53ff70fb01500.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/8/28 13:13
1949 Packard 2265-9 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
1956 Packard 5647 Clipper Super Hardtop Coupe
1953 Packard 2679 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Re: Overdrive R-9 from 6V to 12V
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe you will find any 12v components for an R9.

The R9 solenoid has a different length plunger than a commonly available 12v solenoid for the R11 to that wouldn't work and the wiring is different anyway. If you knew the individual solenoid coil current draw, it might be possible to calculate the proper resistor for each coil but being that one of the relay coils is in series with the solenoid hold coil, it might prove more trouble than it's worth.
As to using the R9 relay on 12v, since it cannot be easily isolated the effort and expense of finding another R9 relay if plans didn't happen to work as advertised makes that an experiment I wouldn't try.

Assume you would also be going to negative ground with the 12v conversion so if I were contemplating a change, since the OD has a one wire feed off the starter solenoid I would remove that wire and power the entire OD with 6v using a voltage reducer module such as this one. That way the entire OD is working at the proper voltage, no resistors to calculate and no need to change anything else.

The fellow making the units has a nice writeup at the end of his listing of some of the other advantages. While he doesn't specifically address positive ground cars, with the individual input leads to the module it should be possible to use it with positive ground but maybe worth an inquiry if you are going to keep that part stock.

An added benefit is if you get the 20 amp version of the module there is capacity available to work a couple of other hard to modify items. The Electromatic clutch (if you have one) comes to mind. Also, if you sell the car and the next owner wants to revert back to 6v, he doesn't have to worry about reversing a lot of changes.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 13:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
How about running two six-volt batteries in series, running all the original 6-volt components from one battery, and using both batteries for whatever reason you're changing over. You'll need to install an alternator, but that's not a big problem. That's the way our 1940 Zephyr is set up.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.71 KB)
404_53ff8c67ebdbc.jpg 959X1280 px

jpg  (130.72 KB)
404_53ff8c7a51ea4.jpg 959X1280 px

jpg  (126.71 KB)
404_53ff8ce305fd8.jpg 959X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/8/28 15:09
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Don't know if this will help but my R11 6 volt solenoid draws an initial 10 amps to start then drops to 2 amps to hold.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 16:43
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Thanks for responding. HH56, I have now ordered the voltage reducer as you suggested. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
West Peterson, I was thinking of doing it that way first but I have read that the batteries will not charge equally.
Again Thanks and I will post the result when it's done.

Posted on: 2014/8/29 2:28
1949 Packard 2265-9 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
1956 Packard 5647 Clipper Super Hardtop Coupe
1953 Packard 2679 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Jappe,
You can also make your own voltage reducer. I made one for my radio, and have tested the volatge, but do not have my car running yet. The parts cost me about 10 euro, but it was an evening of work to solder it all together. The 60$ isn't a bad price.
my blog

Well, you might be able to make your own faster than mailing one from the US. customs in germany is really slow, don't know if spain is faster. Good luck.
Mike

Posted on: 2014/8/29 8:01
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
Interesting electrical problem. I think in the long run Ohm's Law is going to win and it will be back to the drawing board.

It might be better to adapt a mechanical actuator to replace the solenoid. A cable or lever with a detent could be a more reliable way of holding the the engagement over a long drive, maybe less smoke.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/8/29 8:13
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved