Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 clock
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I got my clock working a couple of years ago-last week notice it was not working again. Took it apart relubed it/cleaned the contacts-noticed the fuse had blown.

1. What fuse is required on this-we think aga 2-measureing the resistance of the coil get .7 ohms which would mean approx. 8amps when the switch closed-I would assume it probably would mean a slow blow fuse.

2. This car has a glove box light-measuring voltage from the neg terminal to the lead I Assumed to be ground I get ~3 volts. Evidently there is some kind of switch in this lamp-is it a mercury switch similar to the trunk switch? I get 6 volts measuring neg to ground. I assume when the box is closed the clock gets votage thru a ground-open it gets thru this switch?

thks for your attention

David

Posted on: 2014/8/28 19:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 clock
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Parts book says 2 amp fuse on the 47 clock but not sure it was a slow blow. Interestingly, all the 6v clocks from 22nd on were 3 amp. Believe it is a smaller version of the tilt style switch used in trunk light. Not sure if it is mercury or a ball though. Something does rattle if you pull the socket out of the holder and shake it so chances are it is oxidized to have the low voltage reading..

Posted on: 2014/8/28 19:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Howard-can those switches be repaired? The light/switch looks sealed

thks as always

David

Posted on: 2014/8/28 19:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
My clock does have a 2A fuse, looking like this one:
Resized Image

I had three wires running to the clock/ glove compartment:
black (-) and white (+, ground) for the clock light and
red (-, with 2A fuse) for the clock.

I reinstalled these cables according to the wiring diagram and the clock is working (again).

Glove compartment light is missing ...

Regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/8/29 3:14
Ok, well for starters I'll have
Who, What, When and Where,
and then Whither, Whether, Whence and Wherefore to follow
and one big sideorder of Why.

... and the parts list please
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Clemens
See User information
Took the occasion and had another look at my glove compartment.

Well, the light was not missing. What I mistook for some sort of capacitor for the clock is:
the light!

When I took it out I noticed the missing light bulb ...

I couldn't dismantle the bulb holder, but soaking with some contact spray and thorough cleaning afterwards with white spirit and airgun freed up the mechanism enough to working order. Dismantling the bulb holder might destroy it due to the necessary force you'd have to apply.

What I noticed was the missing insulation at the cable terminal.
Resized Image

This could lead to a shorting right here:
Resized Image

I hope this is of some help.
Lightened regards,
Clemens

Posted on: 2014/8/29 16:14
Ok, well for starters I'll have
Who, What, When and Where,
and then Whither, Whether, Whence and Wherefore to follow
and one big sideorder of Why.

... and the parts list please
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
thks for the reposes-I think I have the clock working again-cleaned the contacts on the clock/both fuse contacts/new medium 2a fuse.lub the clock/exercised it many times-seems to be working-"time will tell" Have not gotten the glove box light switch to work.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 13:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I was also wanting to get the clock in my car working (1954 Cavalier).

I tried to get to the fuse but no way can I reach it without removing the insturment panel. ugggg.

I figured I would have to remove the clock and go through it. the clock should re-wind about every five minutes. The re-wind contacts inside the clock are closed for just a fraction of a second. If the battery is low or the clock needs repair the contacts will stay closed blowing the fuse.

For the glove box light, as I recall the switch and socket are one peice. Usually you can take these things apart about one time if you are carefull.

Don't be tempted to use WD-40 to clean a switch.

Jim

Posted on: 2014/9/3 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Hi Jim,
When I bought my '54 Convertible in 2005 it had a non-functioning clock. The prior owner had the car rewired and converted to 12 volt negative ground. I opted to have the clock converted to a quartz movement which at that time cost $111.00. There is no change in the clock's appearance and it keeps perfect time. I put an under-dash switch in the line to the clock so it is not running all the time. Worth considering to avoid the low battery/stuck contact/blown fuse problem.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 20:55
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved