Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 66

JD in KC, Alvin14, acolds, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vibration
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
My 55 400 suffers vibration between 30 and 40 mph. Tires balanced, no flat spots, drive shaft u-joints OK, can find nothing, however the camber on one front wheel is excessive. Today my mechanic noticed that the water pump seems loose but not leaking and that the power steering lines are moving, possibly as if the pump was pulsing. Has anyone ever experienced this behavior? The engine was not rocking or vibrating while these two events were occurring.

It's driving me nuts. Any help will be much appreciated.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2014/8/28 20:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Vibration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you rule out obvious things, Packard issued a service bulletin (56-T10 corrected) because of problems with vibration on 55 and 56 seniors. Their problem was at a higher speed -- around 60 -- because of the U joint angle. Their fix was minimal so It didn't take but a very little amount of angle being off to cause that problem. Wonder if there is any chance something has loosened or a worn bushing at the rear axle or torque arm mounts on your car is causing the driveshaft/rear axle angle to change up/down or side to side and vibration is manifesting at a lower speed.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Is the vib in the seat of your pants or up front? First thing to do is start the engine and for 40 or 60 seconds try to rev to the approx rpm in neutral standing still and vary rpm slowly up and down to recreate. If you do could be damper or the accessories like toy say. remove belts + try again If youcan prob is in eng as this eliminates all drivetrain and axles tires etc.If you cannot reproduce this way take the car out on the road with someone following behind look for bent rims axles bad tires shocks etc .

Posted on: 2014/8/28 20:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Thank you. Will do!

Bernardi

Posted on: 2014/8/29 0:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved