Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Flocking Colors
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Anyone know what were the most used flocking colors in the 30s and 40s /50s or have any photos of original Flock?
I have got quite a few Restorations in over the past 16 years that had the back side of the glove box doors flocked.
Most looked dirty tan or grey. I wish I had kept track of what cars they were. Since the parts were so old it was hard to really tell a color for sure.
I guess Varnish was used for the glue and probably Natural Fibers were used for the flocking.
Hog or Goats hairs. Any photos would be a great help.
I posted this on AACA forums also, It seems there is not to much info on this around.
Thanks for any Help Jdee

PS: I'm working on mixing modern fibers to look like the old stuff....

Posted on: 2014/9/1 15:36
Jdee
Grain It Technologies Inc.
Woodgraining
 Top  Print 

Re: Flocking Colors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're correct in there seems to be a wide opinion on the colors used. From what I have seen they were mostly brown tones but that could depend on the color of the dash. My 47 Custom was definitely brownish with the door and entire glovebox interior flocked but if the car had the gray dash then that brown would probably seem out of place.

The fiber was rayon according to Packard but the fiber length was longer and a bit more coarse than the stuff you get today from Flockit. I recently made a new box and flocked it and the door using nylon because of its slightly larger fiber. It doesn't look too bad but the color I chose (feather brown) might be a bit darker than the original -- although IMO, it does go nicely with the carpathian elm which you sell with your kits.

I don't think you can tell much from photos but this is what I wound up with.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.19 KB)
209_5404e21a7fb6b.jpg 510X355 px

jpg  (28.51 KB)
209_5404e2542a265.jpg 640X517 px

Posted on: 2014/9/1 16:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
That does look close to what I have seen here. On a Dodge we have also had that look. I found you can mix the colors easy just shake them up real good. I really want to try and mix different lengths of fiber also. This site has some custom colors.http://www.aerooutdoors.com/products/flocking/buy_bulk.shtml
I'm using their glue and it works nice. I hope to see some more photos. I think I'm going to have to order the longer fibers from the UK.
Thanks for the photos Jdee

I found a piece of a Packard Dash, Going to use it to put a photo in for the shop wall. I hate to toss it out. I got it for the little knob and switch that was in it at Hershey years ago.Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/9/1 16:49
Jdee
Grain It Technologies Inc.
Woodgraining
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I ordered the kit from Flokit for the trunk of my 39. Wish I had known the glove box door had flocking; I would have done the door as well. They will mix the colors to any shade that you want. But I had the trunk done in a medium gray, so that wouldn't have worked on the glove box, since it should be a brown. Something else to put on the list.

Posted on: 2014/9/1 21:36
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved