Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Vacuum Antenna
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

scseidl
See User information
Does anyone have any information or rebuilt a vacuum antenna. Took mine apart and one of the seals is mangled. Looking for replacement seals. On my 49 Super 8.

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/9/2 8:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Vacuum Antenna
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How far were you able to get your antenna apart and which seals have you been able to access? If you could post some photos of your assy it might help to figure out what can be used.

I've been looking at adapting some seals for mine and found some that may work but I think there may be a difference in construction between 47 and the later units. I believe yours has a narrow section that fits thru the fender as compared to earlier so am wondering if the seals are the same.

The only place I can think of that worked on those antennas and might have a ready answer is Tucson Packards.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 8:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
The seal are soft rubber-might be able of fabricate something-another idea is a bicycle pump-if you can find one the right diameter. I bought mine off of ebay. I think someone before me fabricated new seals-they looked very new. If you need the end piece-someone on ebay is selling those

Posted on: 2014/9/2 11:37
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

scseidl
See User information
Disassembled the antenna and was able to get a better understanding of how this thing works. The mast is attached to a piston which is made up of 2 pieces. Between the 2 halves are 2 leather seals with an L cross section. Need to find a piece of leather with the same thickness and form the L cross section. Or maybe replace the seals with an o-ring. Like the bicycle pump idea - need to look around.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.14 KB)
14129_5407a30999f25.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (75.69 KB)
14129_5407a3161489d.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (58.23 KB)
14129_5407a32538581.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2014/9/3 18:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yours looks similar to the 47 except I don't see a nut holding it together. My tube inside measurement is 1.225 so slightly over 1 3/16. Not sure if yours is the same. I had thought about seeing if piston cups from a wheel cylinder rebuild kit would work. Those are inexpensive so if it doesn't work, just time spent & not a big expense.

The rubber cups placed back to back with a hole made in the center for the stem should work about the same as the leather as long as the tube is lubricated with silicone grease or something that won't swell rubber. Might have to make a different diameter fiber stabilizing washer that will fit the inside of cup though.

How are your seals up in the fender mount end. Those are the ones I'm having to figure out a way to access and a replacement for. My problem is the way the antenna is constructed the bakelite piece that holds the seals and makes the antenna connection appears to be crimped into the tube so doesn't want to come out without destroying it. Trying to figure that end out is still a work in progress

Posted on: 2014/9/3 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

scseidl
See User information
The tube ID for mine is 1.560. Have not found any seals for the front end yet.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 19:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was looking at your cup arrangement. Mine doesn't have the white things -- just steel and fiber washers with the leather sandwiched between. I found some small seals I was going to use for the shaft at McMaster -- the same metal enclosed type as is used on the various external control shafts in Ultras etc. If I can figure out how the bakelite piece comes out of the top then I can devise a way to mount them.

EDIT: Was looking at McMaster. They have a 1 1/2" OD Buna-N & fabric piston cup seal with the shaft hole already in the thing. Your tube being slightly over 1 1/2", a couple of those back to back MIGHT fit but there wouldn't be much extra room for expansion. There are also some ebay places selling 1 1/2" OD leather seals such as this one but seem most are in the UK

Posted on: 2014/9/3 19:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I have kind of the same dilemma. I have two antennas. One for parts, one to rebuild. I have yet to get the good one apart. The parts one I have gotten apart, but I would like to know how you separated the piston to get the seals off. Once I have the seals in my hand, I intend to go to some hydraulic seal houses with the the seals to see if they have something I can use, once I get the good one apart.

Posted on: 2014/9/6 14:01
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Don't know if they have it, but how about windmill pumps, well pumps, pool pumps, would they have seals that would work?

Posted on: 2014/9/6 16:51
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

scseidl
See User information
Mark, on my antenna once the antenna mast was unscrewed from the piston, the piston came apart into 2 halves which released the 2 seals.
Thanks Howard for the additional sources - I will check them out.

Stefan

Attach file:

jpg  (52.19 KB)
14129_540ba7e7e95a2.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2014/9/6 19:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved