Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 59

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1940 Super Clutch and Rear Crank Seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
In the next week or so, I am going to put in a new rebuilt clutch pressure plate and pads. Done by a fellow that supposedly has close to original pad material, so that I might, after many years, get rid of some chatter. My question is, that my rear seal started to leak a bit several weeks ago. I am told that the leak should not effect clutch performance as any oil will drain out of the hole in the bottom of the flywheel cover. Every time I drive the car, and check the next day, there is a puddle about two inches across on the floor of oil from the drain hole. I plan to tackle that sometime in the future. But for now wanted to tackle the clutch chatter, but will put it off if the rear seal leak has a way to get between the pressure plate and pads.
As always thanks to all.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 21:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Super Clutch and Rear Crank Seal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just my 2 cents but if that much oil is leaking then conceivably some could be caught in the air whipped up by a spinning pressure plate and flung all over the place.

Before making a decision, at the least I would pull the bottom cover off and see if the oil is confined to behind the flywheel and is only falling down and out the hole as thought or if it has managed to coat a film onto the other components.

Also, when you do the clutch job read thru the instructions on dealing with the pressure plate on the 356 engine. Those nuts or spacers they talk about placing under the levers make life so much easier.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 21:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thanks for the quick response, the pressure plate was rebuilt by someone Don Figone recommended, in northern California, so I would assume has done this before for Packards. The nuts or washers you speak of are part of the pressure plate mechanism?
Thanks, and will take the cover off.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The nuts or washers you speak of are part of the pressure plate mechanism?
No. They are extras used as spacers. Placed in strategic positions that you add before unscrewing the plate or trying to install it. Relieves the pressure off the attaching bolts and pre-positions the levers for clearance and so you are not fighting them.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 22:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice from Howard, as usual. Part of your clutch chatter problem may be worn bushings in the anti-chatter rod that is connected to the back of the transmission and a frame cross member. You will need to remove it for the clutch job, and this would be a good time to inspect it and do any repairs.

The spacers Howard refers to are for installing the clutch assembly. I have never done this job, but using the spacers has been discussed on this site.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/2 22:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thanks. Have changed the clutch a couple times over the past twenty plus years, and never used the spacers, would loosten or tighten the two bolts just a bit, then click the engine to the next two, and repeat this many times until pressure is added or released just a bit each time. How can I search the previous spacer topic? I have adjusted the snubber a few times, either further forward, neutral, or towards rear, seems to make no difference. I do have an extra new rear coiled support, and new rear side mounts from Kanter I plan to use.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The poster who related using spacers to do a clutch job on his post war 356 is a frequent visitor here, and may be able to add more information. It seems you may have this figured out with your past experiences.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/3 9:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Pulled off the bottom bell housing plate. Plenty of oil in bottom of plate, but I don't think anything much on clutch side of flywheel. I can run my finger on the surface of flywheel and there is a black powder that might be mixed with a bit of oil, because when I run my finger over several inches, it sticks to my finger, with just a bit of shine to it. But does not seem to be any residue on pressure plate cover, or on side of the pads. So possibly not an issue. Getting my very small long neck led light to take a look behind the flywheel, and the crankshaft flange, I don't think I see any leaks. Will check further tomorrow with some long shank Que tips I have. To me looks like the rear of the oil pan is leaking. Would that put oil into the bell housing, and along the lower outside corner of the block?
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Can anyone give me the bearing number for the nose bearing that goes on the front of transmission shaft,and sits in the center of the flywheel? In my senior moment forgot what it is called, when I do some clutch work in the next several days, might just want to change just because I have access, and I might already have spares on the shelf. This way I can check if I have ahead of time.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/9/8 16:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Pilot bearing. Timken # 205-P. very inexpensive.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 22:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved