Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 114

29tons, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Front disc brakes 1948 22nd Series - - - -
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I understand that, I over-simplified just looking for an easy way to express that the stopping capability, in the absence of brake fade, was the same for drum and disc.

It's interesting to look at the various road tests of braking with the 55 cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (121.92 KB)
177_5416fca8d8fe4.jpg 806X879 px

Posted on: 2014/9/15 9:44
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
OK, this idea could have some unforeseen problems. If you are out in that UK traffic with a big old car that stops well won't you be at risk of one of those big old UK built cars running into you? One that needs friction plates on the servo or hasn't had the mineral oil flushed?
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/9/15 16:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
HI

Thanks everyone - my troubles with Wilwood have ended - apparently they were having some works done to their website so they weren't getting mail - they won't however do any business outside the USA but apparently they have some distributors who may, unfortunately Wilwood omitted to give me their details despite saying they were contained in the Email I received !!

I had a P.M from James at Kanter who said I should contact Stuart which I have done - at the moment I'm waiting for some indication as to the procedures of putting the kit on the car so I can get some idea of costs for same from my Restorer. Kit is $749 and shipping another $270 or so - so that plus a sum for fixing is quite a lot of lolly but I think it is the way to go as explained at the start of this Topic.

Both Wilwood and Kanter say a Servo is not needed on a '48 ?
or do they mean it can't be for some reason ?

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2014/9/20 11:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might want to do some browsing in the technical section at Master Power Brakeshttp://www.mpbrakes.com/disc-brakes-faq for some of your questions. They would tend to agree about the servo not being needed but there is info on other things you may want to be aware of or need to add that may not be covered in a kit. There is also an install section where you might get some more ideas.

Posted on: 2014/9/20 13:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
One infrequent poster here wrote about installing a disc brake kit on his 22nd series Custom sedan. In his words: "It was not a bolt on kit." He has not been here in a long time, but the brakes are on the Packard according my last conversation with him in Salado. Mike, you out there???

My 30-31 Model A hot rod was fitted with disc brakes to replace the drum type. A dual chamber master cylinder was also installed with the disc brakes. It still has the drum type on the rear. There is no power booster and the braking is easy and quick. There is a pressure regulator in the line to the rear brakes to prevent them from locking up. The rear drum type do not need the same pressure as the front discs. Usually in these disc-drum setups there is also a pressure residual valve on the line to the front brakes. The purpose of this is to maintain a small amount of pressure to keep the front pads at the disc rotor. My car does not have one of these. I simply push slightly on the brake pedal to first get fluid to the front cylinders. I have also had to stop suddenly and did not have a chance to pump the pedal. The result was the pedal went down just a little further than normal. The brakes functioned as they should. Others may have different experiences.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/20 17:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think it's been generally recognized for a long time that around 60-70% of the braking occurs with the front brakes/tires. So if they aren't good, braking suffers regardless of type.
If you compare the design of the friction surfaces drum vs disc pads, because the drum pads anchor/pivot at one point, the drums have variable contact area as they wear while functioning disc pads wear even/stay the same. The disc clamping force is more uniform doesn't pivot or point source like in the drums. We all know discs can stick and not work good either and still need regular checks especially if you own a fresh water boat trailer with them and frequent brackish water. (dah!) And rotors warp too.
Even having self adjusters would be a big improvement for the early drums.
The economics and conditions of operating, now vs then, has shifted alot of the mechanical needs. I can remember the brakes were bad on my aunt's Pontiac, so she just down shifted to first and slowed to a crawl and told me to jump out the door as she left me home. Thankful, I lived on a flat street and not a hill. Of course, what's a young boy not going to do if told? I think that constitutes child abuse today???

Posted on: 2014/9/20 20:18
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved