Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New to Forum and Needing Help Starting Car
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

VancouverCanuck
See User information
Hi everyone,

My husband bought a 53 Packard Clipper a few years back. He is new to fixing cars and restoration has been stalled as he can't get it started. We decided to try to fix it up together and it has been fun...so far

We found this website and forum and learned quite a bit about the car's history just by looking at the information on this website. What a great resource!

So far, we have changed the plugs (checked spark and it is good), coil, rotor. All fluids have been changed. Electrical seems good. Gas seems to be getting into the carb so we think fuil pump is good and the engine will turn slooooowly but won't fire. We are puzzled as to why it won't fire. We are thinking it might be the timing and are going to check the order of the timing next.

I'm just learning about cars and engines so hopefully everything I've said makes sense.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has any other suggestions for us newbys.

The car is in pretty good shape considering it has never been restored. I'll add pictures to the car information page when I have a moment. I tried to attach a picture of how we found the car but it didn't seem to work...it's under the max size so I'm not sure. :)

Attach file:

jpg  (71.52 KB)
69845_54105861ee5e0.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2014/9/10 8:57
 Top  Print   

Re: New to Forum and Needing Help Starting Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
step 1, verify that the wires are going to the right places. It is a 6 volt car, positive ground which is backwards from modern cars. Also since it's 6 volt, the battery positive and negative cables need to be the biggest possible, not what is regularly sold for 12v cars. Think tractors. If the cables are too small then the current can't flow and the engine will only turn sloooowly.

If someone put a 12v battery in, it will still start the car (providing it's hooked up positive to ground) but it will kill every light bulb etc in the car, unless everything is changed to 12v specs. Lots of info on that on the forum.

Step 2, check that your timing is correct or at least in the ballpark - look at where the rotor points when the timing mark is at 6 deg BTDC on #1 and make sure it's pointing to the proper plug wire with the points just opening.

Posted on: 2014/9/10 10:04
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One other thing is still the spark. Not sure when or how you tested but when you say the starter moves slowly could be a clue. On a 6v system the voltage to the coil is critical. If it drops much below 5v the spark gets weaker and if voltage drops much lower than 4.5v spark can be almost nonexistent.

HA52 mentioned the cable size -- Are the battery cables the originals or replacements? Good replacements should be 0 gauge or better yet, 00 gauge on a 6v car. All the connections also need to be in top condition. If the starter is slow that is usually an indication of insufficient power --either from too small a cable or insufficient battery capacity, or a discharged battery. With the starter pulling a lot of current trying to move the engine the voltage to the coil could be so low as to not be able to fire the plugs.

Assuming you do still have a good spark then plugs could still be fouled -- even new ones -- after a lot of cranking without starting. If the timing checks out and plugs are OK one of the next things I would do is a compression test. There have been several instances lately of stuck valves on long sitting cars. If that has happened then it surely won't start.

Posted on: 2014/9/10 14:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
There is a good chance four cylinders have low compression. Those would be the ones that sat at the bottom of the bore during storage and probably stuck in the ring lands. The four that rested near the top would have been in an expanded area and may be working well. Once it is running they should free up and all will test equal.
To help start it while overcoming sticky pistons and valves you can remove the plugs and put a half a teaspoon of gasoline into the cylinder between tries to start it. A judicious shot or starting fluid will help, but only a very light touch. Be sure to put the air filter back on when attempting a start. You can get a 2 foot flame shooting out if you don't. Keep nursing it and it will start. Just be careful not to overheat the starter.
Once it starts you might have to give it just a kiss of starting fluid to get it going until you have about 200 miles on it.
We were doing this with a Hudson Commodore Eight once and my son was about 10. He kept hearing us talk about it "firing". Being professionals, we didn't have the air filter on. I bet he still remembers saying "Wow! Is that firing?"
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/9/10 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I agree with all above and also would suspect bad gas from sitting. I always would use an auxiliary gasoline source to ensure good fuel and not to pull rust and crud from the tank and lines. A word of caution-I always kept 2 fire extinguishers in the garage-1 in the back wall and 1 on the frt wall just inside the door. cheap ins

Posted on: 2014/9/10 17:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day VancouverCanuck,
to PackardInfo. I invite you to include your and your husbands '53 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/9/10 20:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I would suggest joining the Packard Club (PAC) and then the Pacific NW Region.

That will get you a roster for the NW Region which will have a listing for Gary Russell who lives in the Vancouver area and has many years of experience servicing Packards. Gary is now retired but would likely be able to provide some assistance.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 5:30
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

VancouverCanuck
See User information
Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. I will let you know what (hopefully) works.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 8:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your '53 Clipper Touring Sedan in the Registry. And good luck with getting her up and running!

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If it's turning slow, check the starter and see if it's getting hot.
If the motors stuck, it'll load the starter and heat up. If the voltage/amperage is just low then the starter won't heat, just turn slow.
Make sure you let it cool between starts, dont; keep cranking if no start. Wires and starter when hot require more juice. Heat in wire will also indicate too small wire size or poor condition.
I don't think this has the carb starter but don't know - someone with later model.

Posted on: 2014/9/14 11:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved