Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 117

BigKev, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Can't believe my starter has jammed - - - -
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Not having a good run of LUCK lately with my Packard.

STRAIGHT TO THE PROBLEM - Yup the problem is contained in the Topic Subject. She just "clicks" when the key is turned, all electric connections are correct, battery fully charged. Suggestions please as to what to do ? never thought this would happen and she is in a very tight spot in a carport with a gravel floor - so not a lot of room around her and difficult to get to the starter motor.

Cheers Michael

Posted on: 2014/9/15 17:57
 Top  Print 

Re: Can't believe my starter has jammed - - - -
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
You're sure it's the starter jammed? Could be a bad starter solenoid, or the starter could be shorted internally, or a bad spot on the commutator.

You can check the solenoid by seeing if voltage makes it through to the starter terminal when the switch is activated. Then start looking at the starter. Always look at cheap stuff first is my motto.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 23:11
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi MEAARCH
My 51 Packard 200, 288ci, did the same thing It started and I drove few miles then shut it off and "CLICK" I thought the worst, solenoid, battery connections, ign S/W,....as I was watching the starter with a remote control attached to the solenoid I pushed the remote starter S/W and saw the back of the starter flex out but all I heard was a click. I took the starter out and found that the starter gear was indeed jammed against the flex plate. I did come to this forum and ask for directions, and after the help I bought a good flex plate and used a file to bevel the teeth on the ring gear so that (I hoped) the starter gear and the teeth on the ring gear would mesh rather than lock up. It's been two years and it's still working......I do have a spare gear but in a pinch I can remove the starter and leverage the ring gear 3 or 4 inches and reinstall the starter....a handy work around but then I'd need to change the the flex plate.
Hope this helps.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/9/16 13:08
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Steve - very interesting.

My car is quite remote to where I live, hence sometimes it can be a few days or even more before I get to see her again and do a bit of work on her. Hence the delay in replying.

Anyways I was down to see her yesterday and took a copy of the advice in my 1956 Edition of "Motor's Auto Repair Manual" with me and ran through the Starter Motor section advice on trying to source the problem - did the tests with the lights to ascertain no electrical problems, during which they are on and you turn the key to turn the starter - result I know no electrical faults - then with lights OFF I inadvertently turned the key again with her in gear and the starter operated the motor so I lurched forward a few inches before I slammed on the footbrake and she of course stalled - took her out of gear and tried again, SHE STARTED !!! - several times between other jobs I tried her and at the moment I seem to have got back my starter motor.

Okay - anyone any ideas what was going on ? Will it re-occur ?

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2014/9/20 11:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have conclusively ruled out a stuck motor or jam being the cause this time then I would still wonder about the solenoid. Another question is if you are still 6v or converted to 12v on a 6v starter. That 12/6 combination sometimes causes the starter to have so much torque when energizing it can jam the pinion into the fly wheel.

Believe your solenoid is the small round type on top of the motor that is a sealed unit? if so, there are two copper contacts which are bridged by a copper plate when the solenoid is energized. If the plate or a contact is burned or pitted to the point the connection cannot be made you have the symptom of click but no action. The plate on most solenoids is designed to rotate slightly as it is energized to provide a fresh contact surface. Possibly that is why the starter worked this time but if there is a problem with the solenoid then as the plate moves, most likely it will happen again.

If it does you can conclusively prove motor jam or solenoid by the old timers method of shorting the two large connections on the solenoid together with a screw driver or handles on a pair of pliers. That bypasses the solenoid contacts and provides current directly to the motor. Just be sure nothing is in gear and your tool only touches the contacts, not anything grounded around the motor housing.

Posted on: 2014/9/20 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Howard

Answer is YES I have converted to 12v but everyone said at the time that it would be okay and up until now it has been - started her yesterday without any problems.

HOWEVER forewarned is forearmed so must do the Oldtimer's shorting trick test.

Photo attached is the original starter which a few years back was a subject in a Topic (I'll try to find it for ref.)when the then Restorers said the car backfired and broke the nose casting. I think they lied and gave it such a whack they broke it (another Oldtimer's trick of the trade)

Keep you all informed as time goes by - - - -

Cheers Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (73.00 KB)
1329_5422bd67bb32d.jpg 845X634 px

Posted on: 2014/9/24 7:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Given enough useage, 6-to-12 volt conversion using the 6-volt starter will eventually, given enough time, lead to failure of the starter drive and damage to the flywheel ring gear will almost certainly occur; damage to the motor itself is possible though can be prevented by limiting the starter motor to very short activation cycles though of course that will increase the number of engagements.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 9:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Can you replace the 6 volt starter with a 12 volt starter, or would that not work?

Posted on: 2014/9/24 13:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Can you replace the 6 volt starter with a 12 volt starter, or would that not work?

That is a question others have wondered about too. Believe it was brought up some time back when someone else was having issues with a broken starter nose or maybe it was a conversion. The mount looks similar but no one knew if the nose depth or if the hole in the housing is the same for both type engines. I don't have any spare starters or S8 blocks to play with but if someone has a spare block or starter to try I'll bet it would be an answer several would appreciate knowing.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
what model packard???

Posted on: 2014/9/24 14:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved