Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Can't believe my starter has jammed - - - -
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The often used statment "broken nose casting" is rather broad and lacking in detail to determine WHY one mite have broken. WHERE on the nose casting did it break???

Posted on: 2014/9/24 14:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"what model packard???"

Keith,

Believe it is this one.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 14:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The one on this thread isn't broken -- just refused to work for some reason a few weeks ago.

That term was used in an old thread when the discussion first came up. IIRC the one at that time was one of the senior S8 solenoid pinion shift starters and snout end holding the bushing cracked between the flywheel and bellhousing -- approx right at the edge of the bellhousing hole. I believe others cracked because of loose bolts that allowed the starter to move or flex but not sure if it was the mounting ears or the snout that took the hit on those.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 14:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It is not clear to me why hitting a 6v starter with 12volts would cause ANY MECHANICAL damage to starter or ring gears etc.
The HP revolution of 1955 was also the wide spread dawn of 12v prooduction systems. About the only difference between the 12v starters of that era and the 54 and earlier 6v starters was the field and armature windings.
True, the 6v motor will spin alot faster but the 12v motors spin faster than the 6v's.
OR to put it another way, the manufactureres did not make any of the STRUCTURAL parts of the engine nor the starter any stronger for the doubled voltage. Or not that i am aware of.

Certainly, attempting to run the 6v on 12v for more than what it takes to start a GOOD engine in GOOD tune is definately not a good idea because the 6v windings won't take PROLONGED 12v voltage.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 14:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The extra torque and speed 12v gives the armature sure spins the bendix out with great authority. I would imagine it might be hitting the casting or end stops or even the flywheel a bit harder than the normal spin of 6v would do.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 14:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi packardV8

My car is a RHD 1948 22nd Series Touring Sedan Frame : 2282-2016 Engine : G1529.

The nose casting was broken at the front end - this incident was over two years ago so has nothing to do with the present situation - she's still on a 6V starter with 12v battery but this is a replacement as the nose casting could not be replaced.

She has not had to have PROLONGED starter use to get her going so your last comment does not apply but I agree with your comment.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2014/9/25 2:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did any of the SIX volt Packards use a SOLENOID engaged starter gear rather than a cetrifigul engaged starter gear????

Posted on: 2014/9/25 5:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I suppose the real question that needs to be answered is the following:
Does a 6v starter operating on 12 volts ACTUALY spin faster and/or with more torque THAN a 12v starter on 12volts???? (I doubt it, maybe so but i doubt it.)

Posted on: 2014/9/25 5:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does a 6v starter operating on 12 volts ACTUALY spin faster and/or with more torque THAN a 12v starter on 12volts???? (I doubt it, maybe so but i doubt it.)

YES, absolutely!, and with a corresponding very abrupt engagement. You can install 12-volt field windings in the 6-volt starter to eliminate the potential for damage. Speaking with Jason at AER (who do perform this work), broken drives, broken ring gears, burned armature windings and even snapped armatures do occur on 12-volt conversion starters. He says sometimes they go for years without problems, other times not so.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
So Owen-Dyneto - the answer is to install 12v windings into my starter - I agree 12v to 12v must be correct and must eliminate any problems due to incompatibility - so that is what I shall do despite the fact that she has now started unerringly several times on my visits to her - typical woman AWKWARD !!

Have an experienced Auto Electrician in Harrogate who I have used in the past and I'm sure can do this work for me.

Anyone have any more comments ? - I'm a good listener.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2014/9/27 13:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved