Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Compression Check
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Its been awhile since I have posted here, but often lurk. Today, thought I'd submit the following, for anyone who enjoys playing with numbers on our cars.

I recently changed the plugs in my Golden Hawk's 352, which I last rebuilt in the late 1990s. While the plugs were out, decided to do a compression check. The heads are fresh, with 4000-5000 miles on them, but the rings have about 95,000 miles on them.
Two cylinders were at 175 psi; two others were 150, and the remaining four were in between, with an average of 162.5 psi.

For comparison, records of a freshly rebuilt 352 back in 2002 revealed 170-195 psi, with an average of 188 psi. However, that motor was tight, with EGGE pistons, and ran borderline hot for the first 20,000 miles or so, but had cooled down nicely by the time I sold it at 41,000 miles on the rebuild.

So this 352 is getting a little tired, but runs nice and cool. However, oil consumption is up to about 1000 miles per quart. A freshly rebuilt 352 usually gets around 5000 per quart for the first 50,000 to 75,000 miles. But its not ALL about oil mileage, IMHO.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 22:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Compression Check
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Good real world data, Joe.

FWIW, those who look at the '55 specifications will find the cranking compression at 120 PSI @ 150 RPMs. Easy to forget there were very low compression '55s and very high compression '56s. Most rebuilt broken-in 374"s will crank 195 PSI and ping on pump premium.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/9/16 14:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved